Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No sound for first 3 seconds w/ Sony SDDS DFP-2000

Author Topic: No sound for first 3 seconds w/ Sony SDDS DFP-2000
Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been having a problem with are Sony DFP-2000, when you first start the projector, there is no sound for the first 3 or 4 seconds, then it kicks in, it's not a problem with the film soundtrack it's self, because it happens with all the prints that have been there, are tech said he couldn't figure out what was wrong. Also if you change the preset to "sva" right before the changover opens, it will switch back into "sdds" and it works fine. does anybody might know what could be wrong with it?
Thanks.

Edit: sorry, I posted this right before I had to go to work, it's actually the DFP-3000, so it has the analog built in [Big Grin] .

[ 04-10-2004, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Mark Gist ]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-09-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
probably becasue SDDS= Sony Doesn't Do Sound for 4 secs [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DFP 2000 normally takes about two seconds to go into digital mode after the data LEDs lock on. This is partly because it has to buffer enough data to be able to ignore short simultainious dropouts of both data tracks. Its normally able to keep on ticking if you were to completely loose both data tracks for about a quarter second or so like a splice going through.

But now on to some information that may either help [thumbsup] or confuse [Confused] you......

Inside the processor on the second or third board down at the front edge there is a row of small surface mount LEDs, you'll see some of them blinking on and off normally. The second and third LEDs from the left are the "P"(Picture side) and "S"(Soundtrack side) data present indicators and they should both light up almost immediately after your film begins running at proper speed. Other LEDs are clock and other status indicators, just ignore them. If the data LED's blink on and off alot but randomly during a film it can indicate that either the data on the film is bad or that the penthouse is in need of adjustment or replacement of the LEDs, or possibly other repairs. I have had several times where both the film and penthouse were bad!! Subsitiution of another film or a roll of previews with known good SDDS tracks is the only way to find out which it is. Also on the front panel there is a data present indicator. If you watch this indicator and the two internal data indicators carefully you will notice that the front panel idicator will blink for a couple of seconds while the internal LEDs are locked on solid. Then a couple of seconds later the front panel data light comes on solid indicating that enough data has been buffered and audio is being decoded through to the output jacks.

Lately I've seen alot of DFPR-2000 lateral guidance rollers with the hardcoat anodize beginning to wear off the inside flanges leaving a shiny ring at one end of these guidance rollers. This causes some weaving of the film while it is being scanned...some weave is tolerable, but if there is extreme wear on the sides of these critical rollers(the two that have allen screws through the end caps) then it cab be difficult for the CCD cameras to properly track the data....even though the cameras have a wider field of view than the data tracks are wide. If an SDS track is printed a bit off laterally on the film, then that problem combined with excessive wear in the lateral guide rollers and its possible that the edge of the data track may not be read at all....this data LED would of course stay off all the time. But remember that it only takes one of the tracks to playback! You don't need both of them and I've seen defective prints that have one erratic track while the other is fine and the processor keeps going right along.
Also just about every DFPR-2000 penthouse that I encounter that I have not previously serviced needs a new sprocket....the bare alumnium sprockets just do not last and a worn sprocket can actually be heard and will emit a buzzing noise with film running through it. Sony wants 450.00+ for this sprocket so check with your dealer for less expensive replacement options for this sprocket. They are available ALOT cheaper!

Hope some of this helps......

Mark @ CLACO

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark G., ditto the other Mark G! And ditto Gordon as well.

The DFP-D2000 has a 4 second buffer which has to load before SDDS is actually output (hey, it's not THAT bad, try rebooting a 6D with TC running...just a tiny bit slower to wake-up [Wink] ). As Mark G. mentioned, you can watch this happening by looking at the DATA PRESENT light on the front panel of the D2000. After projecor start, it will be loading the buffer while it's flashing, and should be playing back SDDS once it is solid.

However, what stood out to me in your post is that you mentioned:

quote:
when you first start the projector, there is no sound for the first 3 or 4 seconds
During this first "3 or 4 seconds" while the D2000 is acquiring data, the D2000 should be passing the AUX INPUT audio through (this would be the format selected at the Cinema Processor) so that your SVA should be playing until the Sony is loaded and ready to go.

So I'm wondering...is your DFP-D2000 integrated correctly, where the CP output feeds the D2000 inputs, and then off to the Monitor/Xovers etc.? Or is your D2000 in a roll-around rack (meaning it has likely been configured as an input device, which the D2000 is not particularly well suited to be)? Has this always been happening, or did it operate correctly for some time and now suddenly is silent during the initial acquisition period?

Without knowing, it's a bit of a guess. But certainly, I would expect your start cue should be switching your CP to SVA, where it should remain, while the D2000 (which should be after the CP), engages or reverts from SDDS playback on it's own. I'm thinking perhaps this is not how you have the system configured however...

Anyway, more info would help narrow down specifically what might be wrong, unless you've already figured it out by now! [Smile]

Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 04:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This only started happening about three or four weeks ago, and out of are 12 screens all with the same model sony's this is the only one that's been doing it. I know it's not the sdds track, because there have been several dozen prints there since, and it's always the same. Yes, Mark you were right I was confused [Confused] ,I proably can't use this information to fix the problem myself but I wanted to pass it on to my tech.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-10-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still need to tell us one thing....as Robbie pointed out....is your analog working and is it at the same level as your digital playback.....or is analog not working at all?

Mark

Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, analog is working, but the sound is a little lower in analog, then digital.

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 12:20 PM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw your edit: it's a D3000 not a D2000.

The LCD panel on the front will tell you what preset the D3000 is playing at any given moment. When it's playing SDDS, it will display SDDS on the top line and the film title on the bottom line. If it is reverting, the second line will display the Preset which is actually playing. So the display should show SVA (or whatever your SVA Preset has been "named" in software) on the bottom line until SDDS has acquired. What do you see on the display during the 3-4 seconds of "no sound"?

Some guesses:
1) The SDDS Preset does not have it's fallback Preset configured correctly (you can verify this by blocking the Reader's lenses with a piece of paper while playing SDDS and checking the result on the LCD and in your booth monitor, sound or no sound)?
2) Someone has set the Non-Sync Fade-out time to 3 or 4 seconds (when this happens, the Preset will not switch until the fade-out is complete).

In any case, the LCD display will give you the hint you need.
What does it display?

Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the help, I don't work today, but I'll get this information tommorow

Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 03:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robbie, it was the non sync fade-out time, it was set for 5 seconds, I set it back to 0, and now it works fine.

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 12:12 PM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: