Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FP 38 DTS Installation

Author Topic: FP 38 DTS Installation
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-10-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to share a unique installation of DTS on a pair of Kinotone FP 38 projectors. These machines were originally equipped with 4-track mag clusters, which in this case were totally unusable. The lens turrets displaced the heads causing the sound to be about 1.25 seconds (!) out of sync.

Thanks to the generous donation of a DTS-6D system to this location (University of California, Irvine), it solved two problems and made great use of "dead" space. And the timecode is rock steady!

-

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-10-2004 06:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many theatres that had a long travel distance from the platter to the projector I have mounted many DTS readers in the place of the mag head to damp out film sag (really shuld have been using reels with changeovers anyway [Smile] )
 -

-

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-10-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

That DTS install is not that unique. I have a pair of Magna-Tech PR-135 projectors (FP20's), that has the same DTS mounting set-up.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-10-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two perfectly good 4-track penthouses all shot to hell. [Mad]

::walks away muttering::

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-10-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I'm not too disappointed on nixing the 4-track mag in favor of a format like DTS...In fact, I want to come up with a DTS reader that can plug in where the mag head lived..at the scanning area, all that is needed is the LED, lens and cell..the electronics and rest elsewhere.
Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-10-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

Great job!! Just don't use the full tight loop tension on thet reader as it might be a bit too much load for it. Loosen up the spring tension on the dancer arms cinsiderably or you'll wear out the drum bearings in short order...Normally the DTS reader its meant to have very little load on it. keep up the good work!

Steve,
Aside from being somewhat expensive to do there is not too much use for that sort of thing and you would might likely be violating some of DTS's patents in doing so. It would also make changing from 35mm to 70mm DTS a bit difficult to do in an instant which would be consistant with changing formats on a projector.

Its alot easier to just make a mounting bracket ayyached to each TC reader that bolts in place of the mag head. This allows quick change outs to either the 35 or 70mm time code readers within a format change time constraint. I have one like this in progress for a JJ. Have already done so one like this for the DP-70.

What would be much better accepted would be a combination SRD- and DTS reader that would go in place of several different projectors penthouses. Then you'd really have something!

Mark

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks to the generous donation of a DTS-6D system to this location (University of California, Irvine),
What building is this in? I might have to go check it out.

Last time i went to see a show at UCI, it was in a lecture hall, with an lcd projector and dvd! yuck. even worse, they had it set to show the 1.85 dvd on a square screen, so it was like watching a scope film in flat! disgusting.

I wonder if they even have someone there who knows what a dts reader is even for... it might just be another "funky roller" for the students to misthread. [puke]

danny

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-11-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mark, My plan was to dismember a DTS reader to do it...some how I doubt DTS would have any problem with a device that aided in their installed base.
Unlike you...Mag seems to still be in my world. In fact, I've been installing it (and it has been used rather well!). As such, for a Century JJ...I would rather put the DTS reader where the 35-mag head lives and leave the 70mm mag stuff alone to do its job. In the case of a AAII...I'd rather have an interchangeable system between DTS and 70mm magnetic.
As to the combo reader...that has already been looked into by a prominent penthouse manufacturer and one of the Digital manufacturers didn't like the idea...a shame because I agree that for the typical installation that wants both capability, it would be a great solution.
Steve

David M. Dorn
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for David M. Dorn   Email David M. Dorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the Sondor web site
url=http://www.sondor.ch/newproducts.html
They show a new product the Sondor "Soundhouse" with both Dolby Digital and DTS readrers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, nice idea and products...all the stuff Sondor makes is first class. The only problem is the cost of it, around 6K, and the fact that the analog scanner is on top requiring a digital delay. Since I'm against most things digital except for digital control of mechanical mechanisms it is only another uneeded addition of distortion into the processing chain. A version with just Dolby and DTS would be what most of the world would want, especially since the installation of RED LED scanners has already penetrated so very far.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-11-2004 08:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah but Mark this is indeed an interesting idea for schmos like me...I have customers like the Library of Congress, the National Archives, the American Film Institute plus a couple dozen more venues that run existing films...what if the IR or even a white light reader went up there with reverse scan optics and that nifty delay?

Regardless of the success or failure of the cyan thing, I (and others) will need to handle existing soundtracks for the forseeable future.

Steve

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Kinoton makes machines with the standard red LED opt/dig basement reader plus a incandesent opt penthouse reader with a delay (same as the stock 16mm one). See BKSTS Cinema Tech Vol 17 #1 (Mar 2004) Pg 16. BTW it is 16 opt + mag /35 dual soundhead opt + Dolby dig + 4 track mag.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: