Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Short throw Scope lenses

Author Topic: Short throw Scope lenses
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any scope lenses on the market that focus down to throws less than 10 feet without modification?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-14-2004 06:11 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use some anamorphics made for 16mm projectors with an adapter ring...some light loss and restriction of image size

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-14-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! A Standard ISCO MC2X will most certainly focus that close. I believe that the barrell is marled for 12 feet as it comes from the factory but the actual focus will adjust to a shorter distance yet that is just not engraved on the ring.

Mark @ CLACO

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

The ISCO MC's are close marked at both 17 ft and 5 meters which is a little less the 17 ft. I can get mine down to 13 ft. After that, focus falls off a cliff. I think the SuperPanatar adjustable mirror anamorphics will focus down to a foot or so. A least I saw one attached to a Holmes 8 focused down to 1 ft in an apartment closet

Larry

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys.

I need one that will focus down to 7 foot. I'll have to make sure I try out one of the Isco's before I get one - just in case it doesn't go that far.

Thanks again.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-15-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mirror and prism type anamorphics usually suffer chromatic aberrations in the image if it is working out of the focus range it was designed for since there is usually no adjustable corrective lens with these units......but there are prismatic types used for video projectors, which are for short throws which may work for your situation...example this company in Finland www.prismasonic.com

Sankor 16mm D type lens with 52mm rear thread with an lens adapter and there is a type "C" 35mm anamorphic for direct attachment to a 70.6mm diameter cinema lens that will focus to 5 feet....

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2004 07:07 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used a Sankor type 16D anamorphic adapted to a 3.5" standard lens with good results at 15 foot throw.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
Those Prismasonic anamorphs appear to be adjustable from 1.2-1.5x which would seem to rule out their use for film. Or am I missing something?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard Panatar would only go as close as 70 feet but they did make a special diopter for closer distances but I've only seen one go as close as 40 feet with the diopter they supplied. The thing about prism anapmorphs is that they can actually produce less chromatic aberation if designed correctly. Panavision sure had that aspect worked out at least for their camera lenses as the Camera 65 and Technirama Delrama mirror/prism anamorphics they made for camera use had so little aberation that they still easily compete with the finest anamorphic lenses made today. The big down side was the size and weight of them.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-17-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not just the size and weight but the light loss
I used to have a set of Hilux 264's with front elements for 20'

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: