Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ELF platter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ELF platter
Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 02:22 AM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,
I have an ELF platter by Christie but I have no manual.
What are the adjustment for a correct platter work?
If I place the film in the toothed roller there is no way to maintain film tension.
I will appreciate very much all your suggestions.

Giorgio.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for Marcus and we used ELFs, our automation's showend mode always kept tension in the film.

Watch out for the dreaded uni-hump once you get it set up!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best altenative is to get rid of the piece of junk and get a real platter system. Not only are ELFS and endless loops made for cheap skate theatre operators that are too cheap to hire enough labor to properly run a theatr and they are also for lazy people that don't care in the least about the quality of presentations. If you are wanting to give the worst possible presentation and have no concern that you will be scratching and ruining film as you are running it then go ahead and fix it.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-19-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

And your point is?

Steve

Elf Manual

Strong's Endless Loop

Kinoton's Answer to the Endless Loop Too

Note, generally Christie, Strong and Kinoton are regarded as the best platters or at least have a very loyal following. All three of these manufacturers keep their endless loops on the price sheet in this loop unfriendly polyester world.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point is that its a vital piece of equipment in the link to providing patrons with a very low quality presentation.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-19-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but isn't that what the platter is all about [Razz]

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reels are also quite cabable of mushing up a bunch of film when used by unknowing individuals.... [Big Grin]
I was also wondering if he was aware of the consequences of using a loop..... [uhoh]

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-20-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point of the endless loop systems as used in Europe. the designers like to have a master contol station for the one to two projectionist working in the building to supervise the operation. they view the images via monitors and operate the machines remotely......so he is stuck with endless loop or dual machine with film path rewind. i was in one location in Spain where the cinema auditoriums where on four floors and the "control station" was in the lobby.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"the designers like to have a master contol station for the one to two projectionist working in the building to supervise the operation."

Now thats some real poor bastardized engineering going on over there! I sure feel sorry for the movie going public.

Mark

Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2004 09:58 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your ELF is not gaining tension the problem lies in the metering arm. First you want to make sure that the arm that holds the roller that pushes the film back onto the platter is in the right position. That arm needs to be tight against that hex head bolt that is on the far left of that arm. If it is not tight the platter will make about 2 revolution and then start spilling onto the floor. If that does'nt work then you have to start making adjustments, and to make adjustments you need to adjust that same hex bolt. It is best to mark the bolt at 12 0'clock and turn it in 5 minute incerements. Clockwise decreases tension and counter clockwise will increase tension. If you have problem finding the bolt that I'm talking about send me a fax number and I'll send you a diagram. Hope this will help, let me know how you make out.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you have a right to your opinion but please don't be such a grumpy old man....lighten up!! the gentleman asked for help not a verbal beating.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-20-2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sr. Volphi life story....he was the child in Cinema Paradiso [Smile]
He has been in the business along time but he is never afraid to ask a question or opinion [Cool]

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-21-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dual machine with film path rewind works quite well too!. No customer downgrade and it is good engineering, with the right projector.

The Kinoton FP 30ER is just such a projector.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-21-2004 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you would find that many of us were the child in Cinema Paradiso......

I agree with Steve on this one. If you have to do it there are ways it can be done without ruining the film. Endless loop platters however are not one of those ways.
Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-21-2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was Cinema Paradiso Drive in at 5 years old [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: