Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » kinetronics static vac

Author Topic: kinetronics static vac
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

I have a question: where do you usually install the static vac cleaner? Do you always use the kinetronics' bracket?
The company which I work for usually install it on the CNR's column, where the film exits from the platter. However, since the film has very low tension in that position, a static phenomen cause the film to be attracted from the chassis of the machine and it has caused too many film to be scratched.

I've temporarly removed the kinetronics but I'm searching a suitable place to install the machines. I think that I should install them AFTER the projector, where the film's tension is higher.

Where do you usually install these machines?

Bye
A

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-22-2004 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Where do you usually install these machines?"

I usually install them on one hour photo printing/processing machines. That is what the device is actually intended for. They are pretty much usless on film and I always chuckle to myself when I'm in a booth that has them [Big Grin] as they do absolutely no good tyring to clean and or neutralize static on a mile and a half or more of film.

Mark

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 09:01 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

It is one month that our kinetronics has been disconnected for the scratching problem explained. The film are more dirty, is a fact. I agree that these machines are not too efficient but they are not so useless.

Where do you install them on your photo printing machines? [Smile]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used these things before a long time ago. We usually just set them on the floor and thread the film through on its way back to the platter. Not really by choice, but that's the only logical place we could put it in relation to an outlet.

Like Mark said, they're useless in a booth. Sure, when you went to clean the filter out there was dust on it, but who knows if it was pulling the dust off the film or from the air? The brushes would get all dusty, too, since the air was sucked over them.

And it was worse at cleaning prints than PTR rollers. In fact, I think it made them more dirty! If semi-dusty film passes through very-dusty brushes, the film ends up cleaning the brushes. And it would take about 3 reels of running before they were covered. (Which leads me to believe it was cleaning the air more than cleaning the prints).

As for static control, I give this example: We had one of these running on our ELF platter for lobby trailers. The projector and platter were in an unfinished room for this setup, and despite the static vac, static problems were a nightmare. So I assume it does little or nothing in that department.

I can see how prints can get scratched easily on this thing, too, although I never had it happen.

=TMP=

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since many film make the brushes and the entire machine more dirty than other ones, I do not think that the dust you found on the brushes came from air! The brushes should be cleaned on each show, or at least each day, the static vac is useless if you clean it once a month!

On the floor means after the projector?

Bye
A

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 08:02 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One theater I go to uses them all the time, on the floor between the bottom reel arm and platter on a homemade stand. I'll have to ask them if they have positive results.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-23-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully their results are neutral.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
snare snare cymbal

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: