Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to measure film? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to measure film?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was building Man On Fire yesterday and I found a message from FOX.

"Reel 5 the first frame is 12 feet from the "Picture Start" Frame. You Should neasure and cut accordingly. This frame is black."

It was close to that.

My question....How does one measure 12 feet on film? I have a frame counter but only know how to use it to find framelines in black. I dont know how to measure with it.

Any ideas for future films like that?

I ended up cutting about 2 feet from the #3 on the head. It seemed okay on the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-23-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your frame counter only counts frames, and not feet and frames, just divide by 16 (frames per foot) to get feet from frames.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Daryl

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted by me as not being constructive or helpful to the original question.

>>> Phil

[ 04-25-2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Grand-POO-Bah Phil.

I bow to you!!! [Razz] [beer]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
You didn't answer what he asked! He asked how to get from feet to frames.
I never said I was answering the question he asked! Dumbass!

Actually I did answer his question and then edited to confuse you.

quote:
The standard SMPTE leader length!
HA! Depend on it being a standard leader! You're crazy.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes wonder how people in this industry miss checking with what the standard is for many things like the number of frames per foot (especially since it is in film note for reel people in the manual section of this site)
There seems to be a lot of topics as of late that a little research would go a long way to solving and other usefull skills learned along the way

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't the labs print clear frame lines? Or failing that, why do they cut reels at a point where there's a long black stretch. They should know it's just asking for trouble.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-24-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clear frame lines kill the contrast of scope films. If whoever is making up the print can't accurately measure a length of film they'd probably be more successful working in some other position.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-24-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take another leader that you've already cut from a different reel of that print. Line it up on top of the leader of the reel you want to cut that starts with black. By line it up, I mean line the count down digits on top of each other. Keeping the sprocket holes lined up, follow to the end and cut.

Piece of cake. Don't bother counting anything. If they printed the reel correctly, it will match the countdown of every other reel.

If you have weird countdowns like there were on Kill Bill (...6, 5, 4, 2) you might want to abandon this method and count frames instead! [Wink]

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 02:51 AM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chose to build up "Man on Fire" exactly how Mark mentioned, just took another head from lets say reel 2 and lined it up with the head of reel 5 I think it was. This worked for me perfectly and was done fairly quick.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that most of the territory on 35mm film is being processed, why can't the frame lines be marked in between the sprocket holes on the picture side of the film (other side to the Dolby Digital) ?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-24-2004 08:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other edge is still reserved by Dolby

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 09:51 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

I'm curious as to what make and model of footage counter you have, since I don't see that you ever mentioned it only counts in frames.

Is there anything wrong with the leader? Why would the letter ask to measure 12 feet from the 'START' frame when 3 feet from the '3' frame (assuming an Academy leader marked in foot increments) is much faster?

Remember that the beginning of the soundtrack is not a guideline to cutting the film, because the soundtrack starts ~21 frames ahead of the first frame of picture (and there's no guarantee that the soundtrack will appear active).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-24-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I chose to build up "Man on Fire" exactly how Mark mentioned... This worked for me perfectly and was done fairly quick.
[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: