Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Whats Up With International Cinema Equipment? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whats Up With International Cinema Equipment?
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is this company's problem?

They recently posted an item I was interested in on EBAY, and they invited interested parties to e-mail them with questions. I did, and never received a response. This was yesterday. I went to check the auction status today, and I could not find the item. BTW, when I last looked yesterday, there were no bidders and there was not a "Buy It Now" option.

I am most positive that this is same company that Wolk refered me to for some needed NOS vintage parts. I contacted them. Their response: it was not worth their time and effort to search for my requested items. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I am most positive that this is the company...this was quite some time ago.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Steven is going to be selling everything off including the warehouse and retiring. Have you tried calling them on the good ole tele?
Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-27-2004 07:06 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the hot Miami real estate market, Steven sold his main location for a very, very good profit and is planning to move to less expensive property....the man probably will not retire since he has many options in his basket other than MTE-ICECO.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could a company like this stay in business?

Some time ago I was looking for some surpluss Simplex parts. Wolk told me this company probably had what I needed. So I called them up. THe answere I received was that they probably had it, but it was not worth their time and effort to fulfill my order.

This was not the first time I received a response like this from them.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-27-2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Strong, Lavezzi, or Wolk doesn't have it then it can be tough. When Wolk was operated by Charlie, some parts where retired if the part did not have a turnover rate to justify hardware on the shelf. Example are stars and cams for Motiograph; a final run of parts was going to cost $15,000....for a running market of probably 100 - 200 in use worldwide...it did not happen.
ICECO, in addition to the main building, has two other warehouses, occupying two city blocks + loaded storage trailers...if you need it bad enough, it is probably hiding somewhere...yesterday's treasure, tommorrow's pig iron [Wink]

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered some Christie aperture plates over the phone from them and they didn't say anything except "thank you", probably no problem because they're new. Miami real estate, huh? I wonder if Steve's gonna show up in one of Karl Hiaasen's books now. [Big Grin]

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you rule out dealing with ICECO, my suggestion would be to call and ask to speak with Dara. I've always gotten through and she has been very helpful.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 11:57 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Jeff Taylor's comments. They seem to be really busy and understaffed. Despite my small orders, Dara has always been helpful in getting me whatever i needed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2004 12:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, go there and seeif they will let you crawl through the warehouses. I've done this several times always comming up with some interesting stuff to take home.

Mark

Juan Urias
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Juan Urias   Email Juan Urias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow,kinda weird hearing this since they are always very helpful maybe you got them in a bad time this doesn't condone them treating you the way you said they treated you but who really knows what was happening that precise moment at the company.im sure you will get better treatment next time you call them..

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 04:35 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would just post this in defense of ICECO. I recently ordered a couple of items from them to be sent to me in the UK which I hadn't received yet. I emailed Dara yesterday and promptly got a reply and was told that they had sent them both out. She emailed the postage receipt to me and also explained that the computer had crashed last week and they'd been desperately trying to get it back up and running all week. This would explain any lack of response from them.

One of the items was delivered today. I thought they gave a great service.

My 1.12 Pence worth (at the current exchange rate this translates to 2 cents)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt said....
"explained that the computer had crashed last week and they'd been desperately trying to get it back up and running all week. This would explain any lack of response from them."

I'm sorry but the computer crashing excuse is the lamest response I've ever heard!! Thats got to be excuse number 7 on their list for sure [thumbsup] . Everyones E-Mail goes to the provider [eyes] they use where it can be easily retrived via another computer, an internet cafe or at a nearby library.

It also does not take a week to get a computer back up and running again [Roll Eyes] . Thats definately got to be lame excuse number 11 for sure [thumbsup] One can go out and buy a new Dell for 299.00 after the rebate if they're that hard up!

Geez! I've got to wonder how high a number the ICECO lame excuse list goes up to??

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-28-2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to Dara a couple of times a month and last week she was having problems with their system...e-mail is one thing but order entry, inventory, accounting programs can be a bear [Wink]

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had great service from them and I'm not exactly the last of the big time spenders.

Vernon Cramer
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Vernon Cramer   Email Vernon Cramer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had very satisfactory experiences with ICECO and just placed an order for a new screen the other week. Dara has given me some excellent deals on both used and new gear. When I've been able to catch him, Steve has been very helpful with some of my questions. They have a lot of used stuff tucked away in their warehouses but you have to give them ample time to do a search (I'd love to spend a day prowling around down there). If you're patient, they probably have what you're looking for, but you do need to give them time to track some of this stuff down. While I'm not usually doing very large orders, they've come through every time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: