Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » payment for dues...or something like rthat

Author Topic: payment for dues...or something like rthat
Robert Edgecomb
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Robert Edgecomb   Email Robert Edgecomb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be an inappropriate question but I need to know. I have been doing projection work and such for about 6 months and I was wondering what one should expect as far as pay goes. I do maintenance work, film work and such but I don't feel that I am not getting paid nearly enough and I want to know what would should expect. I hope that someone can help me.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 02:59 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, if you feel you're not getting paid nearly enough, then that's about right. [Frown]

i dug up some old union timecards in the booth. what we make now is about what they made 25 years ago, and they got all kinds of perks and extras as well. it's a slightly different situation to be sure, as i'm not union and there are many things that i'm "not supposed to know", but i think it's still a telling figure.

carl

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 03:32 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
My suggestion would be try to get an idea of what other theatres pay in your area for similar type work. It might be difficult as many don't let that info out, but worth a try.
In our area it is very far apart, from non-union venues to union venues. Sometimes as much as ten dollars per hour difference!
Carl
Don't you have a damn shift key on your keyboard. That lower case crap is really bugging me!
It doesn't take much to push it down. [sleep]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 04:15 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aww heck, i'm just lazy (when it comes to typing). it flows better for me.

carl

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't feel that I am not getting paid nearly enough and I want to know what should I expect.
More work load for the same amount of money. The theatre companies are no longer paying operators what they are really worth. That's why I got out of the theatre end of this business. I became a studio post-production projectionist. The pay is hundred times better and they treat you much better all around.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-29-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With me, I am treated very well, its just that the money isnt there. [Frown]

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 02:40 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
That's why I got out of the theatre end of this business. I became a studio post-production projectionist.
What exactly is a studio post-production projectionist?

Thanks

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a studio screening room. It's like running a film festival 5 days a week. You have to know how to play all film and video formats. It's not just running regular release prints, but Double-System screenings, review, f/x opticals, cast & crew, dallies and everything else under the sun. You get to work with the film makers during post-production. We do a lot of the major critic screenings for New York and the networks.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like working in the cinema industy is cool, But Bills jod is the coolest.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty years ago when I worked at the Cine Capri here in Phoenix,
we did quite a bit of studio post double-system simply because
we were the only house equipped for it. Those were the days...
one man on the projectors, one man on the dubbers, and an engi-
neer.
Booth cost:
Engineer- $100 per hour
2-Projectionists- $150 per hour
Minimum call - 4 hours
THOSE were the days!

fjn
Local 294 Ret.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: