Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vertical And Horizontal Xenon Bulb Working Position (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vertical And Horizontal Xenon Bulb Working Position
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 10:39 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that lot of "older" projectors had a lamp house with vertical xenon bulb, and today, modern kind of projectors had a horizontal position xenon bulb in lamp house, mostly with aspheric dichroic mirrors as far i know, i saw also that in some horizontal lamp hoses bulb plus " " is in mirors, and on other is oposite off mirror.

Why is this like that, and what are differences between horizontal and vertical lamp working position???

Also for XBO1600w/ofr, and XBO2500/ofr what is required power of rectifier, and what is ignition voltage of this lamp??

Thanks, Marin

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-05-2004 10:42 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but I believe the bulb lasts longer when it is in vertical position. Or at least doesnt have to be rotated as much.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-05-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only vertical lamphouse manufatured today is made by Lighting Images Technology .

The sole advantage to vertical lamps is that in practice the bulbs can last a VERY long time, when properly cooled, as there is no sagging of the electrodes or uneven blackening of the lamp (both are reasons that horizontal lamps have to be rotated at regular intervals).

The worst part of a modern vertical lamphouse is the requirement for the diagonal 'folding' mirror that turns the light beam 90 degrees- it is notorious for robbing valuable light. Vertical/folding mirror lamphouses are also more difficult to align than their horizontal counterparts.

-Aaron

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I had a tech tell me a long time ago that we should NEVER rotate our xenon bulbs, because it "cuts the life in half" when you do so. [Confused] Theater I was at at the time had Big Sky lamphouses.

I don't mess with the things. Not paid enough. [Razz]

=TMP=

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also les flickering when mounted horizontal.

Bruk Mogos
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Bruk Mogos   Email Bruk Mogos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
horizontal mounted lamps last longer and they have great output of light and they don't have to be rotated,as to vertical mounted lamps you loose some light since it's reflecting through the mirror, and they consume more electricity to compensate for the loose of light. ex. (7000W vertical = 4500W Horizontal)

and required power of rectifier for XBO 2500W- I think is 25 Volts 75 AMP,I don't know about 1600w.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"horizontal mounted lamps last longer and they have great output of light and they don't have to be rotated,as to vertical mounted lamps you loose some light since it's reflecting through the mirror, and they consume more electricity to compensate for the loose of light. ex. (7000W vertical = 4500W Horizontal)
and required power of rectifier for XBO 2500W- I think is 25 Volts 75 AMP,I don't know about 1600w. "I would check some facts first
Horsizontal lamps do not last as long the XBO2500OFR holds the record on that department in vertical XenosolIII's aslo vertical lamps don't get rotate horizontals in many cases must be rotated
A vertical in the convential design is less efficient but will produce a flatter light field if fitted with an auxilory reflector also
John said"There's also les flickering when mounted horizontal. "Horizontal lamps will flicker worse as they are by nature unstable and require magnetic stabalization

The reason some lamps are mounted backwards is to keep the anode higher than the cathode in steep inclined locations (spotlight for example)

a 2500 watt lamp is designed for 80-100amp operation

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opps! Gordon is right; I meant to write 'vertical.'

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 10:56 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What physical attribute of a horizontal bulb prevents it working in a vertical position - is it just that it's too short? If so can metal extenders be used to correct the length? (since I need to do this anyway to use 500 or 1000W lamps in my 2K lamphouse [Smile] )

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-06-2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horizontal lamps burn quiet happily when mounted vertically the reverse isn't true and they require very high magnetic stabalization if done so

David M. Dorn
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for David M. Dorn   Email David M. Dorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we are on the topic of verticle lamps, I noted that the Cinemeccanica CX 1600 Lamphouse had a verticle lamp but did not use a 45 deg. mirror. The illuminaton was foucused by a shallow reflector.

Did any other manufactures take this approach? And if not, why not, given the improvement in lamp life using the verticle postion.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-07-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the CX1600 was designed there where other manufacturers also using the "Butterfly" type of shallow reflector in the 1960 -70's period...very inefficient but long bulb life.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-07-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such as the Zeiss-Ikon Xenosol lamphouses, which also had a "honeycomb" condenser lens assembly. We had a pair in one of our screening rooms in the early 70's.

David M. Dorn
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for David M. Dorn   Email David M. Dorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Am I correct to assume the Xenosol's condenser lens was between the lamp and aperture, like that on a condenser equipped photographic enlarger? I also assume the honeycomb concentrated the light much like a tail light reflector.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-07-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long time, but I recall the vertical lamp had about a 3-inch diameter spherical "auxillary reflector" reflecting light back toward the main reflector, and two honeycomb condenser lenses mounted together near the snout of the lamphouse.

There's a photo in the "Pictures" section:

http://www.film-tech.com/pics/royal/royal.html

Or in some that Gordon took:

http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/gordon_mcloed_2.htm

Here's some history of ZeissIcon:

http://www.phototechnik-online.de/ZeissIcon/ZeissIconAG.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: