Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Improving payout on AW3 brains (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Improving payout on AW3 brains
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-16-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On some AW3 brains, I've noticed the payout is a little bouncy. I believe this is causing sound problems with the DTS reader. Does anyone know if there is a spring that can be replaced or a screw that can be tightened to improve payout?

The rollers themselves do not appear to be warped or wabbley.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-16-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
*Regular tree rollers are wobbley. (Are these green or black?)

*People threading their fingers between the brain rollers causing them to get wobbley, transferring to a bounce in the payout.

*Spring in middle roller of brain still in tact and not properly lubricated. (Remove the stupid thing)

*Film cleaner with a tight spot on it causing a wobble.

So if you payout from the same deck with a known good brain, it's smooth?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-16-2004 11:01 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our rollers are green. I believe it was caused by people threading their fingers through it. I'll try swapping some brains tommorow, however, I think this problem affects most of them. The way I came to the conclusion that the brains were causing the problem was that I steadied the payout with my hand for a few seconds. When I did this, the timecode light remained steady. It started blinking again when I let go.

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried removing the spring in the center roller of the brain, all it is, is a metal band that creates friction on the pay out if you have the platter and the projector a long distance apart. I have had this problem in the past and was solved by just removing the spring under the center roller.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 04:54 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
Had the same problems when we installed a DTS reader at my theatre nearly 2 years ago.
Brad advised us to put a section of paper towel behind the DTS roller in the reader, which helped immensly. One thing I added was that I flipped the film over between the top roller on the AW3 and the roller going into the DTS reader. It looks a little scary but since I started doing that NO problems with the DTS reader.
Brad sent me pictures showing how to install that paper towel so you might want to check with him on that.
By the way, an added plus is Filmguard. Works like a champ.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2004 07:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The thread is here showing the drag modification.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-17-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad needs to make a new "tips" page for this. [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 08:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to improve any platter brain feed out is to scrap it and run on reels with changeovers [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
*Spring in middle roller of brain still in tact and not properly lubricated. (Remove the stupid thing)
Hmmm. On every brain I've removed the tension spring on, there's so little tension (NO tension) that it feels like I'm running an ORC. I go to thread the film, and before I'm up to the top roller heading for the projector, the leader is spilling itself all over the floor by the bottom roller, and I'm not even pulling anymore!!

Also, when motoring the leader through, after I stop the motor, the leader spills out of the brain onto the floor as mentioned before.

During the show, the film running from the platter to the projector sags, then pulls itself taut in a rythemic motion.

How do I fix this ? [Smile]

PS - Using the shitty black rollers and can't buy new ones since Christie somehow justifies charging $40 for a piece of plastic.

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, your rollers are completely shot. You need to just throw them away and buy new ones.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is $40 really the going price on those rollers? [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are at $40 now (used to be MUCH higher). They had to lower the price since Bevan left. He used to autograph each roller personally and that added to the value and cost of the rollers. You can still get the autographed ones on eBay.

Thomas, you can always make your own rollers out of wood.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, since you brought up about the lubrication of the center roller. Do you think that if the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease was used that the spring could be used again?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know. Never bothered to experiment much with it, as unless the rollers have been abused, the brain exerts an ideal amount of tension without the spring.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Thomas, your rollers are completely shot. You need to just throw them away and buy new ones.
I kinda figured. [Frown] I tried everything to get them to "work" right, but removing the spring causes no tension, and on most of them, leaving it in causes so much that the rollers shave themselves. (I have pics somewhere of all this black dust under the rollers on the brain after a show)

While on the topic of brains, what good/no good/harm are those metal "anti-static" rollers? The first time I saw metal rollers on a brain, I got worried. [uhoh] All of ours have them.

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: