Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Common projectors of the 1930's... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Common projectors of the 1930's...
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I've seen several articles in the paper lately about an old drive-in that fits 175 cars in a small farming community, and a single screener in a town thats a little larger. In the articles, they both have projectors (original) from "the 1930's"... So I'm wondering, what were the common projectors and lamphouses?

Thanks in advance...

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-02-2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew:

Projectors: Simplex Standard, Simplex Super, Brenkert BX-80, Western Electric (Simplex copies if memory serves..anyone out there confirm?)

Lamps: Peerless Magnarc, Ashcroft, Brenkert....

Check out the "Manuals" on this site for more...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-03-2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could also possibly be Brenkert BX-40, Motiograph, or Century K (Kaplan) projectors as well.

Soundheads could be Western Electric, Simplex SH1xxx, Motiograph 'Mirrophonic' or RCA.

-Aaron

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-03-2004 02:48 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BX-80 was not released until the early 40's. BX-40 would be a possibility.

Good to see another bike dude on the forums [thumbsup]

Josh

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 06:17 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, according to Robert Sprague the BX-40 was introduced to be a lower cost alternative to the dual-shutter BX-80. It was targeted at the smaller theaters with a smaller pocket book. (However the cost was only a couple of hundred bucks less) My BX-40's are serial numbers 5967 and 5968 and were made in 1940.

Jeff

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-03-2004 07:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acording to an ad in an I.P. magazing I have the BX-80 was introduced in 1939 but I don't know how many were sold. The first ones had cast iron main castings and weight a ton. With the availability of alumnium again after WW-2 they changed over to alumnium main castings. Very few if any projectors were made and sold to theatres during the war because of the metals shortage and war allotment program. That was a tough time for theatres which had to keep many old projectors running for the duration.! Perhaps Robert Sprague could tell us how many were made in 39.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is in Manatoba and in the thirties it was probably installed by either Sharpes theatre supply or JM Rice. It would probably be either Standard Simplex (Gardnier and Wenzel were often clones they sold) with RCA soundheads
Both these dealers also supplied a lot of Motiograph and later Ballantyne Since these are independents they probably bought used equipment as both those dealers delt in a lot of secondhand gear and also sold a lot o pedastal Holmes theatre machines as well in many smaller towns

Andrew Jefferson
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Jefferson   Email Andrew Jefferson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Australia there was a company that was called "Cummings and Wilson" (C&W). They made projectors here between 1920 and 1940 and were on almost every HOYTS screen and possibly many GREATER UNION screens too, PLUS PLENTY of independants. There are many still in use today (70 years on) especially in smaller country independant theatres still running change-over and carbon arc WITH DIGITAL SOUND... Very amusing to see... I have one in my "Backyard screening room". It's a Model "P5-1928". Is there anyone here from Aus or abroad that can shed more light on these wonderful projectors? [Smile]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, according to Robert Sprague the BX-80 mechanism came out in 1939. The 1948 Brenkert prices were as follows:

BX-40 $882.00
BX-60 $800.00
BX-62 $870.00
BX-80 $1104.00

He told me about a downtown Detroit house that had a pair of BX-80's and ran somthing like 18 hours/day 7 days a week throughout the entire war and never missed a show due to a failure! [thumbsup]

I think I have some Brenkert yearly production figues somewhere in my notes from Robert...I'm still looking...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does that mean with most of the men off fighting in the war, we have our first recorded incident of a woman projectionist who actually knew what she was doing. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-03-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
Man what a steal! At those prices I'll take a hundred of each! Its amazing that the BX-60 which is the better machine of the bunch was less expensive. I've never seeen a BX-60 crash. The 80 was also great but the weak link, the shutter gear, was eliminated in the 60. The Brenkerts were fine and still are as long as you had an actual Brenkert made shutter drive gear in them. There is one pair of BX-80's still running in American Fork, Utah.

Mark @ CLACO

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I welcome Jeff to the Carl Brenkert Society. We meet every year at the Telluride Film Festival. We even have a BX 60 door with a gold plaque. We had a lot of fun with it as Ross Krantz had populated all the film venues in town with his favorite and cheap projector.

We still have at least three sets running, two set of 100's, and one set of Bx 60's in the outdoor venue.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, many thanks for the offer [Big Grin] I have three working Brenkert heads...Two consecutive serial number BX-40's (that I got from Mark G.) and a BX-60 (might have been a BX-62 once because it has the front shutter shaft).

I correspond with Robert Sprague on a regular basis. Robert has written the complete history of Brenkert Light Projection Company, and was an employee of the company for a while. Robert does not have email capability, so all correspondence is via snail mail. He is a great guy and a retired union projectionist from the Detroit area.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-03-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Robert has written the complete history of Brenkert Light Projection Company"

Any possibility of getting that all written up and posted on F-T?

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew

Take a look at the histories of the various equipment manufacturers that are in the Film-Tech Manuals forum.

Tony stated that Western Electric is a Simplex copy. Wrong. The histories that I mentioned above discuss the development of sound. Also see www.widescreenmuseum.com.

As for Simplex. Everyone has not discussed the following:

The Simplex Standard/Regular front shutter versions. Then the rear shutter conversions to these machines. Then the development of the Simplex Super. Also the Simplex Grandeur projectors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: