Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron failsafe bearings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xetron failsafe bearings
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to find replacement bearings for the Xetron Opticue failsafe. The ones that ride on the film. I'm looking at page 286 of the Grainger catalog. Those look like the type of bearings I need. But I can't find an exact match. I measured one of my bearings. Bore = 6mm (.25"), diameter = 16mm (.625"), width = 5mm (.1875"). The closest match I could find was the second from the top, at 5x16x5mm. Will a 5mm bore fit?

Ther are also a couple of close matches toward the bottom of the page under "Inch Series." The closest ones are .2500 x .6250 x .1960 or .2500 x .7500 x .2812. These have the same bore, but the diameter (on one) and the width (on both) are larger. Will either of these work?

Of course, if you know where I could get exact replacements, by all means feel free to let me know! [Wink] Thanks in advance.

P.S. I was asked by my tech to look into getting them from Grainger because it would probably be cheaper than buying parts from Xetron. I wouldn't have expected one bearing to cost ten bucks, though.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-22-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best to take the bearings off and take them to a local bearing distributer. They will measure them up and give you want ever options are available.

Mark @ CLACO

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out an good auto parts store, there a good shop up here in stuart, they had ever bearing that we needed, including metric. Discount and common stores i had no luck finding them there.
Also they were a very lot cheapter then our dealer. You may want to buy one form them so you have a spare to go looking with.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McMaster-Carr is also worth a try. Visit the site and search for "Ball Bearings". The bearing you are looking for sounds like a type R4, described on page 1014 of the online catalog. If the bearing you want is in stock in their Atlanta warehouse, you should be able to receive it within two or three business days of ordering.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bearings should have the manufacturer and model code stamped on it.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but how do I decipher that code? [Smile]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you don't. you just tell the bearing supply company what the bearing says, and they'll send you what you need. btw, best not to substitute brands IMO.

danny

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-23-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHY?!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Because you may end up with the wrong type of seal on the bearing. Ideally it should only have a shield on each side. A bearing substituted with a seal, especially the rubber type will have undue(built in) drag imposed on it and may not turn freely with the movement of film resulting on possible film damage.

2. Another thing to consider is that bearings that are making contact closures sometimes have a conductive grease or oil in them to aid in making better contact between inner and outer races. A "Stock" bearing off of a bearing suppliers shelf is definately NOT going to have any conductive compound inside it. For these type of bearings its best to order them from the cue detector maker, or get bearings that have little to no oil at all in them, but good luck in that one as its usually special order and in large quantities fomr any bearing distributor!

Mark @ CLACO

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Different styles of seals/sheilds on a bearing isn't the same bearing. You could get different bearings of the same brand, brand has nothing to do with it.

2. Conductive properties still aren't a factor of brand. Granted you might have better luck ensuring consistent properties if you get the exact same bearing (part number) from the same manufacturer, but if the bearing's conductive properties are actually in it's specs you should be able to cross it to another manufacturer's, if one exists. We cross conductive bearings all the time for various machines, but it helps that we've got a good bearing shop to deal with.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with using off the shelf bearings for conductive purposes is that the grease in them actually prevents conduction... acts as an inslator. Different manufacturers use different types and amounts of grease which is going to vary how well it will conduct. So yes, different manufacturers bearings may very well exhibit different amounts of conduction of they were measured with a milliohm meter. Grease in a cue detector bearing is just not a good idea either because eventually the grease will dry out and may cause the bearing to hang up. I've seen this happen several times. A lightly oiled bearing would probably work better for conduction. It is also possible to remove the shield from a bearing and clean out the grease and lubricate it with some conductive oil. Seals and shields can be replaced if removed properly. Frankly, in my experince, its always been less expensive just to get these bearings from the cue detector manufacturer. Those always come either just oiled or with conductive oil in them and the proper shield.
P.S. have never seen specs listed for the conductive properties of a bearing in any bearing lit. Also different manufacturers seals will also exhibit different loads on the bearing itself even if the bearings are all the same part number.

Mark @ CLACO

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 07:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen them in any catalog either, but the bearing house we deal with seems to have some sort of list, because they've always sent us bearings that conduct well when we've asked for them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect they're sending you either dry bearings or oiled bearings. Dry bearings would be very bad because of corrosion possibilities. They may also have facilities to remove the grease and oil them. Some facilities do. Motion Industries here can do that but you pay for it.

Mark @ CLACO

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-25-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 458 days since the last post.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

Did anyone ever find a model number for these bearings? I suspect I have the same ones, and I can't find a model number or anything for the failsafe to look up a parts list.

Pardon the crap pictures.

-

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: