Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reporting Print Damage

Author Topic: Reporting Print Damage
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a friend of mine working as a projection operator for a large theatre chain who shall remain nameless. A manager changed a 6K xenon the other night and didn't focus it properly. The film ran 2 shows before the problem was corrected. The film is now blistered and likely warped. He was telling me today that the managers don't intend to order a new print and I suspect don't even plan on reporting it to the distributor. The story is supposed to be that the print arrived that way which won't fly since it was a new print of First Daughter that had never been run in another theatre. I guess my question is, does a theatre have an obligation to report that kind of print damage? What kind of repercussions can a theatre face for that kind of blatent disregard for a print?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the right thing to do obviously is to get a print. If the film is damaged enough to the point of noticable focus issues the next person who gets it will report it to get a print for themselves and the damage will be back tracked to the last theater who played it and that is where the bill will go.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-28-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should they, yes. Will they, no, that's company policy. Will they be penalized if anyone in distribution / etc. hear's about it, no. All that needs to be said is, "Fine, we'll pay for the print, and you can keep your few dozen prints of whatever piece of junk film you're trying to unload this week is", and the girl at Warner Bros. (who is real nice BTW), or whoever else, will say, "What print damage?".

On the other hand, if I ever get the print and figure out for sure who it came from, I'll raise hell. You've seen how that goes Greg!

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard stories Daryl [Smile] See now if they seriously get away with this it'll be a crime. How can a distributor simply accept that and just brush it off. I mean I'm all for turning the other cheak but these people should be long out of cheeks at the rate these poorly run theatres are destroying their stuff.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-28-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a Fox print that probably isn't going to be in great demand by the time they complete destroy the print, I mean finish their engagement, I doubt anyone will make a fuss of it.

I know there will be hell to pay if anyone from the theatre contacts Fox, or anyone else, directly and that if they report it to the company's booker, nothing will be said unless they require a new print. I seriously doubt they will feel that they need one though.

There's more stories too Greg. I'm happy to report that nearly all of the incidents have resulted in appropriate steps being taken to prevent reoccurrence of the problem. Thumbs up to owners and (projection booth) management that care.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: