Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reel Arms and Reels? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Reel Arms and Reels?
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys-

I just wanted to post another question. How much should I expect to pay for 6000' reel arms? Also, should I look for 1/2" or 5/16" shafts?

Thank you for your help,

Cody

|  IP: Logged

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shaft size depends solely on the reels you plan on using.

I've got a set of Christie arms I use on my personal projector that has swappable shafts so I can use both sized reels.

Typicially 2000' reels have 5/16" shafts, and 6000' reels tend to mostly have 1/2" shafts... however I have a few 6000's that have 5/16"ths.

As for price, I don't know... new Kelmar arms are quiet expensive. Sometimes you can get used arms for as little as $50/pair.

--Chris

(edited to correct sizes)

[ 10-03-2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Chris Trainor ]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-03-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Trainor
Typicially 2000' reels have 5/8" shafts, and 6000' reels tend to mostly have 1/2" shafts... however I have a few 6000's that have 5/8"ths.
5/8" shafts? [Eek!] them's some huge spindles! [Smile]

Surely you mean 5/16" [Smile]

-Aaron

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoopps, yeah, 5/16" [Smile] heh. Been workin with 5/8" screws all day building a rack for 2000' reels.. musta had them on the brain. [Smile]

--Chris

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your replies. I have someone who is willing to sell some 5/16" ones for 60 all together and just wanted to make sure it was worth it. I'm ready to get the bad boys and then find the 6000" reels.

Thanks again,
Cody

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. That's worth it. Plus with the 5/16" shafts you can always get slip-on adapters to put 1/2" shaft reels on. You can't do that the other way around. [Smile]

--Chris

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to get Kelmar 7000 or 8000 series arms. You can't do better than those [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-04-2004 01:41 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they actually hold the reel up better than others?

Also, FWIW, I haven't had any issues running 7000' reels on 5/16" hardened steel shafts. The real issue with the smaller (5/16" vs 1/2") shafts with 6000' or larger reels is that people tend to break the locking tab more often with a larger reel since it's heavier and obscures the shaft and tab more than a 2000' reel. Shorter people seem to break the upper shaft tab and taller people seem to break the lower shaft tab. Be careful and you'd won't have to worry about it. Use a stool if you have to.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-04-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the best reel arm on the market today is the Ballantyne by far.

It is much more robust than Kelmar's. You also can interchange 5/16 and 1/2" spindles with them.

The Kelmar 8000 series reel arms are really too light weight for day-to-day changeover use.

As for spindle sizes...1/2" adapters over 5/16" are okay for occasional use but they will break on you since you still only have a 5/16" shaft for strength.

5/16" spindles with 6K reels will bend...it is just a matter of time. The reel spindle is unsupported on the operator side which gives the heavy reel too much leverage.

I generally run 1/2" on large reels and 5/16" on 2K reels for screening rooms and the like.

Steve

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TECO also makes ok large reel arms. They call them 'Reel Brackets'. TECO's are length adjustable for those locations with restricted height/space in the booth. If I remember corrrectly I think the TECO's are priced less than everyone else, too.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Do they actually hold the reel up better than others?
No, but they have a better clutch design than some junky, rusty magazines some people are using IMO. [Razz]

quote: Steve Guttag
5/16" spindles with 6K reels will bend...it is just a matter of time. The reel spindle is unsupported on the operator side which gives the heavy reel too much leverage.
Dunno about that. I run 6k at work and the small shafts of the kelmar8000 are not bent in any way.... arms have been in place for ages and are just fine.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-04-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, do the TECOs have various stop points for adjustment, or are they 100% adjustable? For example, if I wanted the arm to be 12.4 inches, can I do it?

I'm with Dan on the Kelmar arms. Never had any problem with them and the 5/16" shafts have never bent. I also prefer the 8000 series arms to minimize the amount of weight on the head. Must be some weird air up in DC. [Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-04-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In what way are the Ballantyne arms better than the Kelmars? I've never seen them.

Most booths around here have the Kelmar arms (mostly series 7000) and they're fine. My only real complaint is for platter use, where the guidance rollers don't have enough clearance to run a 2000' reel without having to move the rollers aside.

I recently sold one set of Kelmars without guidance rollers and in good condition for $75, which I thought was a fair price. Check or post to the FS/Wanted forum and I'm sure that someone will have what you want.

If you are buying used house reels, it's generally easier to find 2000' reels with 5/16" shafts and 6000' reels with 1/2" shafts.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone's interested Surplus Sales of Nebraska www.surplussales.com, has some NOS Strong and Ballantyne stuff in their catalog including reel arms, a tube amp, Bodine motors, etc. You might want to check it out.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no experience with Ballantyne arms either, but according to the price list at RSEM.com they're more than TWICE the cost of Kelmar arms. RSEM's price is around $400 for a set of Kelmar 7000's versus about $1000 for Ballantyne's. [Eek!]

Ron Yost [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: