Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Meet The Fockers Bad DTS Timecode (and diodes) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Meet The Fockers Bad DTS Timecode (and diodes)
Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of a 19 screen complex 10 screens that are running "Meet the
Fockers" trlr has bad timecode causing the sound to drop out.
Anyone else with this problem? Analog is ok. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the 4 volt setting in the tc readers lately? If it falls below about 3.2 volts DC is won't read tc reliably. Some prints will read ok and some will not read at all or all the time.
With no film threaded and your dc meter on tp-1 and 2 set the reading for 4 volts using the small white pot.
When unplugging and plugging your readers plug to remove the cover be sure to shut the DTS off. Once y0u're set to tke the reading let it boot back up, then set the dc level.

Mark @ CLACO

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it must be nice to have a DC meter to do that. I'd like to test that out myself as lately we've been having a lot of bad TC reading on a movie every now and then. I've made sure the DTS readers are clean, but it hasn't helped.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I have always felt that if someone wants to work in a booth then a minimal personal toolbox investment is needed a set of interchangeable drivers and a meter are part of the basics

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a self employed tech then yes, of course. However, one should NOT be buying tools out of their own pocket to use at work. A very bad practice in my opinion.

Some will criticize their accuracy (and for certain things it likely is an issue) but for what you are doing a $30-$40 Craftsman multi-meter should suffice. If your theatre won't spring for that then they don't deserve to be in business.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 02:33 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could you not have a multi-meter in your booth. What if you have a diode go out. Are you just going to replace all six each time. Doing that once will pay for a cheap multimeter to get you by.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh, nevermind about my rant.

I guess I'll have to spring for a multi meter if I want to take care of this myself...

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tools are tax deductible (in the USA). But that's only useful if you can itemize deductions.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-14-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about you print out the instructions, show that to your management so they can see it is easy and not dangerous, and ask them if they would like you to take care of that. The cost for the multimeter is considerably less than for just one service call. If they don't want to do that, forget it. If they do, then maybe your company technician can show you other things to do with it (in addition to reading up on stuff and following tips here). Then you can build your knowledge and skills step by step, and when you are at a point where it can be seen, you can ask for more money.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-14-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to steer too far off topic, but isn't it recommended to change all the diodes when one goes out? I know a lot of people only change the one that goes out becase it is easier and much cheaper.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
If they do, then maybe your company technician can show you other things to do with it (in addition to reading up on stuff and following tips here). Then you can build your knowledge and skills step by step, and when you are at a point where it can be seen, you can ask for more money.
Problem is the company technician is on the road a lot and doesn't have time to train me on such things at the moment. What I want to do next summer is see if I can actually train with him as an assistant. I've gone about as far as I can go with the tools and equipment I have access to at work, so I want to start following the technician around for some REAL training. Eventually I'd like to do booth inspections for the company, where I would check on key areas often neglected or missed by the usual booth personel. For example, I found out recently from an inspection of my booth that I was one of the only places to have actually kept up with oil changes and clean window ports. This is pretty standard stuff, so I got to thinking it would be interesting to go around the district and see what the other personel are missing and/or improving on.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
I guess I have always felt that if someone wants to work in a booth then a minimal personal toolbox investment is needed a set of interchangeable drivers and a meter are part of the basics

I agree completely with Gord. If you are in charge of a booth then you should do what it takes to be sure that a good show is put on every screen in the complex...... man thats your primary job!! If it takes a small took kit to acomplish that endeavor then so be it. The way it looks here is that you are just another one to whine and cry and then do nothing... when you should really be doing something about the problem instead. If the readers are out of adjustment then adjust them, if the prints are bad then get replacements if possible.... or shut the players off and run analog........ If you can't do that much then shut the dam theatre down and go cry in some other industry.

quote: Joe Redifer
Not to steer too far off topic, but isn't it recommended to change all the diodes when one goes out? I know a lot of people only change the one that goes out because it is easier and much cheaper.

Actually NOT changing then all out at once will cost a heck of a lot more in emergency service calls by your tech. Diodes undergo enormous thermal stress over repeated heating and cooling cycles and frequently will mechanically break down and fail. Installing a full set is cheaper than some of the milage charges our customers incur!! Be sure the fans are running properly and blowers that can be lubricated should so be.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe brings up a very good point. I've replaced two diode stacks, but never a single diode in a stack.

BTW, the + and - markings on the diode stacks really do mean something... [Eek!] Thankfully, no damage aside from frying another diode stack. A definite lesson learned.... and I'd still swear that there were NO markings on the stack I installed...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am suprised you didn't blow up the filter caps puting it in backwards

I rarely find there is much advantage in changeing out the entire stack unless the customer wants it I usually only replace the bad diode and rarely have another problem with the rectifier for a year or longer
If they show signs of heating or I determin there was a High Voltage issue then the all get changed

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-14-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not only meet the fockers that has some issues with timecode. Same problems occured on Bridget Jones 2. Increasing the Voltage can help this issue. I don't know what it is but universal product seems to be the most troublesome with time code issues in their trailers especially on older readers.

Michael Elam, I sent you a private message so check your profile.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: