Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Barbie Policy Trailers

Author Topic: Barbie Policy Trailers
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-17-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking with a coworker about movie policy trailers. She's from Boston and used to go to the Kendall Square Cinema. She tells me about a series of trailers that featured Barbie & Ken.

There was one for the Concession Stand, one for "No Smoking", "No Talking", etc., etc. Each one ended up with the partial destruction of the doll(s).

We're considering updating our policy trailer collection.
The ones we have are from Filmack. Though they are still in decent shape, people are getting pretty darned tired of them.

It's time for a change.

Anybody have any information on these, please.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, The Barbie policy trailers are available through Pepsi.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-17-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pepsi dolls trailers are _horrible_! Landmark used to run them, but stopped when they switched from Pepsi to Coke. If you _really_ must have one, I could probably dig something up.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-17-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen them, myself. I'm only going by what others have said. I'll reserve judgement.

Mercyhurst IS one of those schools that signed a deal with Pepsico.
Y'Know... Pepsi will fund your athletic teams if they get exclusive advertising and pouring rights.

You can't buy a Coke on this campus to save your mother's life!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-17-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring back "Don't flick your Bic in the thick of the flick!" Actually just cut the talking cigarette lighters and save the graphics.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-17-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'Know, I'm sure they are every bit as bad as people are telling me they are. But, what the hell!

We were having one of those brainstorming sessions and were kicking out ideas. It started out with an idea on how to get people to turn off their cell phones in the theater.

We run a M$ PowerPoint-based slide show on the screen before the movie. We use it to advertise upcoming shows and on-campus events. We throw in a few videos and trivia slides to make it interesting. Because of the videos which need sound, the computer that plays back the Pwr. Pt. show is connected through the theater's sound system.

I found a nice looking JPEG picture of a cellular phone and Photoshopped in the words, "Don't forget to turn off your cell phone!", in big letters across frame. I put that as a background pic for the Pwr. Pt. slide, tossed in the sound of a cell phone ringing and made it "auto-play" when the slide came on.

So... The slide comes up. The sound, "Ring! Ring!", comes through the speakers and the screen says "Dont' forget to turn off your cell phone!" Can you believe the slide actually got applause?!

I think the key is twofold.

1) The attention getting device of the "Ring!" sound.
2) The words "Don't forget".

Everybody knows they should turn off their phones. Yes, some people DO actually, honestly forget. However, those who DON'T forget but STILL don't turn them off now know that 100 other customers will be staring directly at THEM should their phone ring in the middle of the show.

We'll see whether it has a continued effect of reminding people to turn off their phones.

So, if the Barbie trailer is THAT bad, I can plunk it on the table at our next brainstorming session and say, "Here's your trailer. You have been warned..." [Wink]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 02:41 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as far as i know there's only one barbie trailer, and it covers all the bases. and it's excellent! really. it's the only policy trailer that i don't hate. there something wonderfully "wrong" about it. what's not to love?

carl

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 03:23 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
Bring back "Don't flick your Bic in the thick of the flick!" Actually just cut the talking cigarette lighters and save the graphics.

Are you encouraging the destruction of rare and possibly valuable old trailers? [Mad] [puke]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 10:07 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
The sound, "Ring! Ring!", comes through the speakers
Odeon in the UK have a version of this where ringtones come from the surround speekers. (at first it is a single ringtone, increacing to multiple tones from round the cinema) Most people (even regular customers) tend to look round to find who's phone it is

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-18-2004 11:37 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Hajducki

Odeon in the UK have a version of this where ringtones come from the surround speekers.

Hmm... Evil thoughts come to mind!
Methinks, there be some sound editing to do!

[evil]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could Coke possibly have stolen this idea for the "fantanas" trailer? [uhoh]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: