Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Loud static in booth monitor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Loud static in booth monitor
Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our MS-100 monitors emits very loud static, regardless of the volume setting. When we turn it up, we can also hear the signal from the amps, but, the only way to make the static stop is to turn it off. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? The static is also present in a set of headphones when we plug them into the headphone jack.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-22-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy (but unorthodox) fix:

Give the monitor a hard smack- the noise should change or disappear entirely.

There is likely something loose or corroded internally causing the static, I have had the same thing happen to MS100 monitors and giving them a good smack seemed to cure it. [Big Grin]

-Aaron

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 03:48 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
giving them a good smack seemed to cure it.
Man am I glad he doesn't take that approach with the projection staff...

Just for curriosity sake...Would it be likely something loose on the input or in the monitors volume control or something else entirely?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 04:50 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took the top off and re-seated all the connections and still nothing.. I will check them all again tomorrow. All of them were not fully seated, which I found odd...

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 08:28 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
Give the monitor a hard smack
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that did this. I used to have an ultra stereo monitor that I must have smacked a thousand times. Heck, it worked.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-22-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a problem with older Component Eng MS-100's. The 20 pin (or so) connector to the amplifier module gets tarnished, resulting in a poor connection. The company knows about it. When I mentioned it to them (about two years ago) the fellow I talked to sent me a new module at no charge, but you must return the old one.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can these contacts be cleaned?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do clean them use Caig Laboratories De-Oxide or Pro Gold contact cleaners. A tiny bit of that stuff on them and they will probably never give trouble again. This is as good as contact cleaners get!
Caig Labs Web Site

Mark

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best contact cleaner I could find here in Selma was Radio Shack. However, that did the trick! Thanks for all the help! I will check out that other brand and try to get some in here for the next time I have an issue.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used some Radio Shack spray contact cleaner on a volume knob rotated it several times and bingo ..........no more static.
Give it a try.

Chris Boland
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 12:44 AM      Profile for Chris Boland   Email Chris Boland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
This is a problem with older Component Eng MS-100's. The 20 pin (or so) connector to the amplifier module gets tarnished, resulting in a poor connection. The company knows about it. When I mentioned it to them (about two years ago) the fellow I talked to sent me a new module at no charge, but you must return the old one.
As this is my first post, I should say I don't mean to bring back old threads, but I also didn't want to start a new one.

At the theatre I work in we have several MS-100s with this problem. The last time we had a technician in from Toronto that knew how to fix it (I believe it was Rick Long) was almost 2 years ago.

My question. The connector board to the amplifier, is this the panel located on the back of the unit where the various channels from the Processor/Power Amps are connected? Or is there a terminal block inside the unit that is cleaned?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 04:09 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Boland
As this is my first post, I should say I don't mean to bring back old threads, but I also didn't want to start a new one.
Fear not for bring an old thread up is encouraged as opposed to having extra threads about the same topic.

Oh and welcome to Film-Tech!
Sweet...I got to welcome somebody...

Anyhow, back to the topic. I'm pretty sure it's the connector on the rear of the unit.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong though [Wink]
G'luck.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-06-2006 12:00 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The connector for the amplifier module is inside. You'll have to actualy remove the MS100 to get at it.

That rear PC board where the audio connectors go can usually be removed and unplugged, (there are two plugs on the back) saving the time of disconnecting all audio leads. However, on some units, they used ty-raps to hold wires out of the way, and sometimes those ty-raps were pulled a little too tight to allow you to get the board out far enough to unplug it.

Chris Boland
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 02:15 PM      Profile for Chris Boland   Email Chris Boland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome Dominic!

John, is it relatively easy to get at the connector? Just wondering if this is a 20 minute or a 2 hour job. [Smile]

Thanks!

Brian Long
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Brian Long   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Long       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an issue with a batch of MS-100's where the connector that the STK4024/6 power amp module plugged into was changed. The pins on the amp module didn't seat into the connector as far as they needed to. This connection is what causes the static. Unfortunately, the static problem didn't show up until the units had been in operation for a while.

We have remedied the problem but, in the mean time, fixing the units that are in the field has been ongoing. The fix can either be done in the booth or you can send the main board with amp module in for us to fix.

The fix entails removing the top cover and then the main board. The 15 pin surface mounted connector that the amp module plugs into needs to be de-soldered and replaced with a new one.

Please call our office or e-mail me so we can either send out a new connector or make arrangements for you to send the board in for us to fix.

Brian Long

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: