Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD-10 delaying sound changeover (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS XD-10 delaying sound changeover
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 01:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our XD-10 has developed the habit of not switching to the next reel's sound fast enough. When the splice goes through, it continues to play the sound from the outgoing reel until the BEEP is heard, then it instantly switches to the incoming reel.

It doesn't do this all the time -- when we screened ROBOTS the other night, the sound played flawlessly through the whole movie. But on our last show tonight, I heard that damn BEEP three times, after reels 1, 3 and 4. Anyone else experienced this, and any suggestions?

(We use a platter, so there's no possibility of changeover issues. Our audio processor is an Ultra Stereo JS200 series. And the software in the XD-10 has been upgraded.)

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this issue with an old reader. The LED was poor so that at each reel change the player didn't receive the new timecode and proceed with the end of file that contains the "beep".

I would check for the RED voltage and the installation of your reader before.

Remember that if the reader is brand new it is very possibile that the LED voltage has dropped a lot after the first months.

Bye
A

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Antonio stated the voltage of the LED could be too low to read the timecode.
However, if the timecode is dropping out you should see the green light on your TC reader switch off.
Is it doing this?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the light is nice and bright. No dropouts back to analog at all -- it just takes an extra second to switch reels.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 06:13 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS player will keep playing for about 5 seconds without time code, before it switches to analog. If there is a problem at the splice, and it takes a little time to start reading time code again, you may hear the beep.

Try cleaning the LED, and the lens. Check the GAIN adjustment in the reader (R16). Do not shine any light into the reader while making this adjustment, it can affect the reading. With all due respect to DTS, This is NOT adjusting the LED voltage. The red LED is feed from the 5 volt supply through a 360 ohm fixed resister (R15).

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check trhe gain with a meter you would be surprised when you'll find it at 2V instead of 4V!!

However,
I knew just today that what you are describing is a known bug of the current XD10 software and it will be fixed in a couple of months.

I would check the reader too, however!

Bye
A

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a bug in the firmware, couldn't you just downgrade?
And what causes this bug to pop out? I've had no problems like this.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cleaned the reader and it still did the problem last night -- but just once this time.

Jeeez I hate intermittent problems.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the voltage of your readers LED as per DTS.
Fix's many ills.
My Xd10 is not exhibiting these problems and has been updated as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that its his reader adjustment. We check that on every service trip to his location. Have you called DTS yet Mike?

Mark @ CLACO

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - Not yet, I was waiting to see if things change on our next movie (which won't be until the 24th).

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-16-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this behavior -- once -- with a print of Motorcycle Diaries on a DTS-6D. Fundamentally, it seems like the DTS firmware should be able to prevent this problem.

We did not really have the opportunity to debug it at the time, but whether it was 2-pop on the head of the incoming reel or a post-tail sync-pop on the outgoing reel, the DTS encoding box should not be including that part of the printmaster on the CD. Or the decoder should know what the beginning and ending timecode for a reel really are, and not playback sound outside those bounds them without some special flag or switch (input via keyboard, DIP switch, or whatever).

Analog reversion or plain silence would be vastly preferable to those sync pops.

Oh, on a practical level, we had significant problems with the print this happened on drifting in and out of DTS, to the point where it was unbearable and we ran it in analog. Presumaby there is a correlation here. No flickering timecode lights, however, whatever that means.

--jhawk [edit: Motorcycle Diaries sted Monsier N. Sorry. ]

[ 03-16-2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 05:05 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

You should check the reader LED voltage, not only clean its lens. Follow the instruction on DTS' techcenter, it is simple.

And wait for the upgrade if it does not solve!

Bye
A

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-01-2005 08:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen at D.T.S. advises that this is indeed a software bug and will be fixed by the end of the month.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 11:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - if you had stayed with your good old DTS6 you wouldn't have these problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: