Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cp500 Software Upgrade

Author Topic: Cp500 Software Upgrade
Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I get ahold of a newer firmware for the CP500 Im not sure right now of the current release that we have now but I know it has never been updated. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..to find what firmware that your 500 is, either reboot the system and notice on the screen during startup below the trademark area will be your firmware version, or goto <menu>, then <about this 500> and the firmware will be displayed.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some CP-500's will operate alot more stable if the software is actually downgraded to an earlier version. Some of the later EX compatable software is problematic.

Mark @ CLACO

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 03:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found that to be the case, although on the whole the CP500s around here have been very stable. I think in all the time I dealt with CP500s from new, I've had one PSU fail, two memory dumps (both caused by mains interference from burned out isolators) and a Cat222SR/A fail. That said they are picky things with regard to grounding, heat, mains power stability.

We are currently using V1.65 /V1.65EX, which allegedly is supposed to alleviate the dropping memory issue that some people suffer. So far so good, although I've not had drop it's memory in years anyway. Had more CD650s develop amnesia, but again, not recently.

Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its version 1.2 so I think its time for an upgrade. Would this possibly solve the higher error rates or is that strictly film and soundhead only. We are second run and I normally only see 5 or 5. never below 3 unless its a preview. I cant figure out why it is so high. The lens is aligned to the best it can be anymore either way and the rate goes up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-21-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Version 1.2 is stable and doesn't necessarily need an upgrade. I have almost an entire plex of theatres running on 1.2 and have nary a lick of trouble out of them...except the occasional noisy surrounds that is prevelent on many of the Cat 675A cards.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upgrading the software won't make any difference to the error rate you're experiencing, in any case the firmware in the digital subsection is dynamically updated from the digital track of the film itself, the software we're discussing here is updated with a pc running Load500, connected to the serial port on the back of the CP500.

My memory is shady on this, mabye someone else can confirm one way or ther other, very early versions of the software can't be updaed by the pc/Load500 method, you have to replace a couple of EEPROMs, what I don't recall is the specific version number from which you CAN update via the pc.

The later versions, whilst they don't make any difference to the SR.D playback, they do improve things like decoding in A and SR optical formats, so do have worthwhile benefits. I really can't say I've found one revision of software to any more or less stable than another.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only 500 software that I really had any problems with was the first version of the EX compatable stuff, can't remember the ver #. It did a memory dump at random quite a bit. I was told by Dolby that there was a bug in the program when the checksum was running and that under certain conditions would cause it to dump memory. Other than that one software problem the 500 has been very reliable for me. A couple of 675's and 670s over the years failing but thats about all. Lots of dusty LCD diaplays out in this area!!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2005 08:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, all firmware after 1.31 and before 1.65 will dump your memory. Some have other flakey issues too.

The only way the firmware could improve A and SR is if it somehow affects the Dolby Stereo decoder. The Noise reduction is done entirely in the analog domain but the 2:4 decoding is done digitally. Somehow, I doubt that the firmware changes have had any audible improvements.

In the CP650 there are firmware fixes that did improve noise issues in earlier versions.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 05:55 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I said, sorry if I wasn't clear, allegedly one of more of the updates gave it better Pro-Logic decoding, I didn't mean the NR.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know what version it was that gave me all the hassle severel years back. That version was upgraded when the later one came out and they have not been a problem. I just took two 500's out olf service that are 5 years old so it'll be interesting to see what versions are in them. these two never bliped even once during their 5 year rural service. The 500 is still my favorite "digital" processor. It seems to have the right blend of analog and digital to please us old analog farts.

Mark

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2005 12:07 AM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP500 version 1.65 and 1.65EX have proven to be the best (in my opinion). Additionally, be sure to use the newer version 2.0 of Load500.exe for your upgrades!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2005 03:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Additionally, be sure to use the newer version 2.0 of Load500.exe for your upgrades!
To add to that comment...if you are using an XP computer, you HAVE TO use version 2.0 of Load500.exe unless you want to crash the CP500.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: