Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Running Film Cleaner...opinions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Running Film Cleaner...opinions?
Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here's the thing...for the last year or so at my theatre, we've run film cleaner on every print every week, without fail (with Film Guard, naturally). This was all well and good, never caused any scratches or other problems with the prints.

Now, when I was doing my BCP certification recently, I told my certifier of this practice and he said that it was not at all necessary as long as between shows, the gate and trap area were thoroughy cleaned. Would this really prevent most dirt from getting on my prints? While I naturally take my certifier's word, I just thought it would be good to get some opinions on here. What do you guys think?

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a wonderful illustration of how the BCT class is in essence a joke. Dirt doesn't come from the projector... although it ends up in the projector. It comes from the floor (which is where your certifier most likely lays his leader while threading), it's picked up by the film as it travels through the air on its way from the platter to the projector, etc. And cleaning the projector doesn't get the dirt off of the film. Cleaning the FILM is what gets the dirt off of the film! Sooo... I'd say that you're right, and he's wrong.

I've been to theaters that teach the BCT class, and clean their
projectors religiously, but only clean prints when they're either really dirty or scratched. Their presentation sucked.

I've been to theaters that clean their prints (with Film Guard) religiously, and only clean their projectors when they're dirty. Their presentation is awesome.

I currently work at one of the latter theaters. We just had a walk through from home office, and we were complimented on our presentation. We clean prints on a regular schedule: four times over opening weekend, once a week after that. We clean our projectors when they're dirty, or about once a week.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Brown
he said that it was not at all necessary as long as between shows, the gate and trap area were thoroughy cleaned.
What a dummy! He must like his prints to shed. [uhoh]

quote: Mark J. Marshall
Dirt doesn't come from the projector... although it ends up in the projector. It comes from the floor (which is where your certifier most likely lays his leader while threading), it's picked up by the film as it travels through the air on its way from the platter to the projector, etc.
Not really... If you don't run with FG, most of the "dirt" on the film and in the machine is the emulsion that is getting abraded off in your gate.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 01:17 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your booth is, otherwise, well-run and kept clean, no, you don't need to use FilmGuard on every single pass through the projector.

Up to a point, the more you use FilmGuard the better-off you will be but that doesn't necessarily mean the less you use the worse-off you'll be.

Just read the instructions that come with the bottle. If you work in a multi-projector booth the instrucions say that you can swap cleaners around between projectors/prints to maximize the use out of the number of cleaners you have. Taken to its logical conclusion they say, "No, you don't have to use FilmGuard on every single show."

There is a continuum at play, here. Places that have problems with scratched and dirty prints (Second Run/Art Houses, etc.) or those that have difficulty keeping the booth clean would obviously need to use FilmGuard more often. Those that have a well-run operation wouldn't need to use it so much.

It's easy to get addicted to using FilmGuard. You start to think that, if you don't use it every day, you just aren't doing a good job. While, with film, there's almost no such thing as being "too clean" you also have to think about the law of diminising returns. Is the work you do and the expense you undertake worth it for the amount of benefit you get out of it?

If you are working in a well-kept booth whose operators keep the equipment as clean as they should, there's no harm in treating a print for the first couple-three days then stopping. Later on, if you look at the screen and you decide the print needs a little TLC, there's no reason you can't put the cleaner back onto the projector for a few more shows.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 03:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and it's called "use your own judgement on this one" - if one likes to FG a print on every pass (which is actually a waste, for once a week if sufficent), so be it.

I've seen those who are fanatic on this, to where one use it when he wants to.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2005 03:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
if one likes to FG a print on every pass (which is actually a waste, for once a week if sufficent), so be it.
Monte, I think you need to clarify your comment there.

NO there is no need to "resoak the media" more than one time a week, regardless of how many "passes" you put on the media for a given print.

YES there is a HUGE difference to passing the film through the cleaner as many time as possible (given the number of cleaning machines in the complex).

It is also important to note that theaters with brightly lit images will show off the benefits of FG much moreso than theaters scraping by at the low end of SMPTE light levels or underlit.

Other points of importance, running film "dry" will over time (maybe a week, maybe a months - depending on the projector) abrade the digital tracks of the film. FG prevents that and actually makes them perform better with less error correction. Also, a FilmGuarded print for the most part does not shed in the first place, so cleaning the projector is something that just isn't hardly necessary. If you see any dirt left behind in your projector after a show, your booth is not clean enough to run without film cleaners (unless your standards are low I guess). This statement can easily be seen just by watching reel changes go through. As the extra thickness of the splicing tape passes through the gate, it knocks up the dirt that has collected throughout the show. This is why you can go to a theater that does not clean their prints and see after a short amount of time that the dirtiest parts of the film are at the reel changes, which of course gets worse with every pass.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 03:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, forgot to add that..thx Brad.

Okey, while on this topic of Kelmars and FG, another opinion: (and maybe Brad can help on this one): Any buzz on using both sides of the media, instead of just the one side? I've done both sides of the media on occasion and this process worked fine.

- Monte

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We generally clean each print as we get it, and not again unless it looks like we need it. I'd say we keep our films for an average of 2-3 weeks. Should we be cleaning more often?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 cleaners for 12 houses. We can usually clean half the movies one day, and the other half the next day. So I guess on average we clean every movie about 3 times a week. As I we see it...we have the cleaners, why not make use of them. There is no bigger waste than to have a useful filmcleaner sitting on a self somewhere when a movie is running WITHOUT one. We soak out media about once a week, possible spritz it again towards the middle of the week. We change the pads every thursday night, religeously!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, depends on if you are receiving brand new prints, or used prints. ...and of course the conditions of your booth also come into play a bit.

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 04:03 PM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a second-run house so we get our fair share of damaged prints. Damaged or not, we run all our prints through the media pads once every day and deep clean our projectors once a month. This seems to keep our prints in good shape and the only thing that sometimes causes a bad presentation is the occasional operator error.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
Not really... If you don't run with FG, most of the "dirt" on the film and in the machine is the emulsion that is getting abraded off in your gate.
Forgot to mention shedding... although I did say "etc." [Wink]

Thanks!

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses everyone. What I've done up there for the moment is to have everyone clean between shows but continue to run the film guard soaked cleaners for the time being. What I think I'm eventually going to do is have us run the cleaner on new prints and then just do it every few weeks or so.

quote:
Dirt doesn't come from the projector... although it ends up in the projector. It comes from the floor (which is where your certifier most likely lays his leader while threading),
Actually Mark the leader doesnt touch the floor when he threads, and he makes sure that the prints are covered at night. But I see your point about dirt coming from the air and not the projector. I think it's just going to be a matter of seeing how things go now that we're cleaning between shows, in addition to running the cleaner like we are now. If the result is exceptionally clean prints, then I'll keep things that way. Thanks again for all the comments guys!

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The result is always cleaner than clean prints. Digital soundtracks fail much less and guess what, focus improves!
In addition, on new prints FG removes excess chemicals still on the print from the lab and such.
The FG on a print also reduces wear caused by the gate and protects the film from static among other things.
Anyone who claims to be a projectionist and doesn't think FilmGuard is a vital component of Film Done Right should change careers or change his ways.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 03:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
....or change his ways.
....if he wants to keep his job and title..(LOL)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: