Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » EPISODE 3 IN THE AIR ! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: EPISODE 3 IN THE AIR !
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-In the still growing desperate fight for holding out pirates, print arrived so late, that test run was not possible. Full House midnight showing started with DTS dropping out after app. 2-3 minutes - Change to SRD gives fail rate 6. and Error !
Hippetyhop ! [Frown]

Addition 0300, local time:
SDR rate reels 2,3,4,5 and 7: rate 6. - 7 and Error !
Reel 6: Error and drop out all the way.

Can anyone tell me: Is the dts-timecode copied in a way, allowing the code-string to be misplaced ? -In the beginning of reel 6 there are, what I would normally call scratches - but, my God - it looks like was it the dts-code coming down the screen one third into the picture.... And no ! - It HAS been a long day, but I'm not that tired - not drunk - and not smoking anything strong !

Per

[ 05-18-2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Per Hauberg ]

|  IP: Logged

Kris Dirix
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 06:37 AM      Profile for Kris Dirix   Email Kris Dirix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Per,

It is almost impossible to split a DTS track from the other sound systems. The 4 soundtracks are recorded simultaneous on 1 sound negative and the soundneg. is printed in 1 sound-print head on the positive film.

If the other3 soundtracks are on the place they should be, it's no DTS. ("Never say never" [bs] happens sometimes).

Sounds to me like carvings from a sprocket wheel in wet conditions f.e: developing processor. If the "data-dots" are really white.

Can you tell me the name of the print lab?

The stock will be EK2383 that's for sure.

Greetz. [beer]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 07:15 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again

No - the dots are yellow - and not dts track in any way by closer exam.
Will check stock and lab when back in cinema.

New print not possible until friday - it'll be a long thursday.

Per

Kris Dirix
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Kris Dirix   Email Kris Dirix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow scratches is severe emulsion damaging, it means that the emulsion layers are scraped away till the blind (yellow) layer.

[Eek!]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not scratches in the print - it's in the printing !!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-19-2005 06:17 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, we got our prints nice and early on Tuesday with no problems at all.

Unfortunaly we're not doing too much business with our three prints as of now, everyone is going to the multiplex down the street. Want one of my prints? [Roll Eyes]

Kris Dirix
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Kris Dirix   Email Kris Dirix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Rachel, send a copy over here by Star Destroyer, I haven't one in my collection yet . [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Is it also a bad copy from damaged dupneg? [Roll Eyes]

Hi Per,

How is the sound in there? Is it subtitled in Denmark or is it dubbed? Did you receive a good copy now?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-20-2005 03:02 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How do you know?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know?

By placing my little, sensitive, urine-stinking fingers on it, searching for uneven surfaces ! -How else ? [beer] Hi, Scaffer - Doing well ?

---------------------

Latest: So far 3 of 81 danish prints taken out, due to high failrates.

Rachel: Same here - Neighbour's adds shouts about 70 feet screen, and of course the kids runs that way....

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print has SDDS on all reels except no 1. So I play that one
SRD and the rest in SDDS. I´ve listened to all three digital
soundtracks (they play just fine, all of them) and SDDS sounds
best. The other two sounds a little "thin".

To me the picture looks like it has been softened. Do you have
the same impression?

As for yellow scratches I had a HUGE one, made by the lab, on
the last 7 minutes of Kingdom of Heaven. Looked awful.

Thomas

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kris Dirix

How is the sound in there? Is it subtitled in Denmark or is it dubbed? Did you receive a good copy now?

Fox logo not only a bit thin - but thinner than cold tea.
New print arrived friday - with exactly the same faults as the first one: DTS runs only as long as the opening titles are on, and fail rate 7 and "E" rules the SRD. As the first print, also on this one, reel 6 runs in SR only ! A Lucas digital promotion stunt !

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 05:38 AM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many different SRD readers have you ran these "Bad prints" through? If only 1 you may want to look into your reader or possibly decoder. Then again it is quite possible you keep getting bad prints.

We have 4 houses with SDDS. Opening day we ran a 2x Interlock between 2 of the units with SDDS. Durning the ENTIRE presentation the SDDS kept dropping out to SR on BOTH readers. Viewer complaints were many at the end of that showing. Lace up next 2x interlock. This time I force the both SDDS decoders to run SRD-Ex only. Guess what? Not a damn problem one. Even ran the Main volume in Both houses up -8.0db from its normal -10.0db(0db Fade). Couldn't sound sweeter. Rich full round Bass. Hey if I can feel the Bass in the both... you know its bumpin. [Big Grin]

Outta 3 Prints run between 6 screens (3 2x Interlocks) and 3 SDDS units everything gets ran on SRD-EX. CP-650's on the other 3 houses default to EX if present. All houses Equiped with Klipche surround speakers, Lt-Cnt-Rt Drivers and 6x20 inch Subs.

But I digress. For some reason the Printed SDDS tracks on all 3 of our Prints are chock full of errors. Thank Dolby we have SRD-EX to go to and that those tracks are perfect.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-23-2005 06:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Dallas
Even ran the Main volume in Both houses up -8.0db from its normal -10.0db(0db Fade).
That sounds still pretty low. -8dB still is only about 4.5 on a Dolby fader. Unless I misunderstood you and you meant you turned the fader up 8dB from -10dB to -2. But -10 as the normal playback level also sounds really low. That is about 4 on the Dolby fader.

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 08:24 AM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You misunderstood. I did infact turn it up to -8.0 from -10.0.
Trust me that is friggen loud in Houses 1, 2, and 7 were we have 3 of the 4 SDDS setups. In House 13 -10.0 is way too loud it's near deafening. So it's normally is ran at -13.5

Don't ask me what Engineering did when they first set them up 4 years ago, but if I had to guess they set the gain on the Amps too high. I just havn't had time to crawl behind the Screens to have a look see yet. All I know is that they're QSC amps.

4.5 to 4.8 on CP-650's is whats normally ran. The note they sent in the cans with prints of SW3 said to run the Fader at 7.0. I was like Ya right and get called by radio every 5 mins to turn it down. 6.0 is plenty loud enough. Actually too loud during the Trailer pack.

-----------------

Speaking of Notes in the film cans from the Studio's.
It annoys me to no friggen end to get those.
Listen ASSHATS!! I don't tell you how to make the F'IN FILM!! You don't tell me how to present it!! GOT IT!!? GOOD!
Thats right, I'm talking to you Fox and you too Disney! [fu]

Like we don't know how much light should be on Screen. Like we don't know how to set sound levels to a comfortable listening level for your oh so "Special Mix". Next thing you know they'll be telling me how to clean my f'n Port Glass. grrrr.
Sorry for the mini rant. Had to get it off my chest. [Razz]

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally we run our CP-650s and CP-500 at 3.8-4.0 (3.6 on trailers).

On Star Wars 3 today I tried to raise the fader, 4.8 seems to bee the limit, 5 is way too loud.

Together with some prints there are notes to run at 7.0, and sometimes 7.5 or 8. Here in Sweden we have laws how loud the sound can be, and the I probably break the law.....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: