Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is there a way to up the open circuit voltage/Irem Rect

Author Topic: Is there a way to up the open circuit voltage/Irem Rect
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Irem rectifier I have, I measure 78v open circuit. Rating plate shows 75v, so I assume it's within spec. Is there a way to increase this voltage? I understand that 100v is more desirable. Trying to cure hard starting of bulb.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-19-2005 04:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most do not allow adjustment of the no-load voltage. 75V should be OK for a 1.6K - 2K bulb. Have you looked at other causes of hard starting, like the RA relay, etc.? I recently had an issue where the operator had turned down the current to save bulb life, but it was too low to provide enough current to get the bulb to light reliably.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-19-2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the RA relay, since you have Xenex I units, you can change the zener diode on the auto-strike board for lower no load voltage.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-19-2005 06:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can test the RA relay theory by TEMPORARILY unplugging the relay and connecting black wires together and red wires together. If everything works OK, then you know the relay was the problem.

Just don't leave it this way....bulb life will be shortened. In my experience, I have never seen low open-circuit voltage as a problem with IREM.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you even strike xenon lamp? What is current when is on? Is it normal?
If isn't maybe one of diodes is dead?
Also look at filter capacitor, maybe is bad, just try to put some capacitor in serial

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I"ll plead ignorance. What does RA stand for? Are you talking about the relay on the auto ignitor board?

Yes, lamp will light, but can take 3-5 attempts at times even with a new bulb. It's always been this way.

Cap's arn't very old.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-21-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that "RA" was just IREMs designation for relay. Most use "K" for relays or some use "RL" but those that work with IREMS know the "RA-Relay", often pronounced "rah-relay". It is there to help with the ignition of the lamp by switching in and out capacitance. A big clue to its failure is if the lamp strikes and immediately goes out (as the relay switches out).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-21-2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

What exactly is your line voltage there? I've only had problems with IREMs no load voltage when the line voltage was low as in a brown out condition. During brown outs the current had to be upped to get em to start reliably and then quickly turned back down to normal current after ignition.

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 01:24 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to check on the line voltage. It's been a while since I checked it and don't recall.
Thanks all.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Line voltage @ 3:30pm local time was 121.7

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

That seems a tad low to me for that line voltage level.... I seem to remember these being around 95 to 100 volts no load. I gotta wonder if the relay board is bad.

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tear it apart and check out the relay board next wk after the holiday. Thanks Mark and all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: