Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mixing of Star Wars 3

Author Topic: Mixing of Star Wars 3
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone

Something odd happened here in Italy with Star Wars. As many of you knows I personally upgraded the sound system of my biggest screen that now has a total of 11 subwoofer, so I was waiting for Star Wars...

Today I screened SW. After few moments I realized that something was wrong: No or few surrounds, No or few Subwoofer except few moments. I tried both SRD and DTS with no differences.
The ENTIRE movie run with a very Flat and poor sound, 99% from stage channels AND not particularly dynamic.
I'm used to test my sound systems with old DTS disks from other movies. I have the CDs from Star Wars II and I tested the sound with it and it was wonderful: full of surround sound and very deep low frequencies. I re-tested the sound system after the show to ensure that my sound system was ok and all was right. I had confirmation from all around the Italy that all the prints sound the same.

Now there are two possibilities:
1. George Lucas has become crazy and didn't care of the sound of his last episode
2. We made a terrible mistake in Italy.

I'm prone to the second possibility of course but I need your opinion on that to be sure. How does Star Wars sounds there?

Thanks a lot

Bye

Antonio

[Sorry Joe, I was sure that was the better forum for my question... [Smile] ]

|  IP: Logged

Dylan Marchetti
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Dylan Marchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Dylan Marchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We noticed something similar, in all of our houses. It should be noted that the movie is mixed far quieter than most- if you normally run 7.0, you'll probably need to run it louder to get a similar volume. But in all of our houses, the mix sounded rather flat and devoid of dynamic range- dialogue was often louder than explosions.

Won't say I was disappointed with the mix, though (aside from the lack of 8-channel SDDS)- it just seemed very flat to me. Probably the intention, as I doubt Lucas would let anything out of the mix room unless he thought it was perfect, but I have no idea why.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2005 08:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie sounded phenomenal when I screened it in Dolby Digital. No problems whatsoever. I did run mine at 9.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad the mix was stunning and we ran at 7.0 in EX

[ 05-20-2005, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Robert John Jeromson ]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 02:19 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beatiful mix. SDDS EX (sub disabled, going to have to be repaired).
Was quiet though, our SDDS is running at 0.5 and or DTS at 6 (at 7 it would be unbearable).

A theater I worked at once had a similar problem with the SRD sounding terrible at opening. In the end there was a configuration change to the cp650's (I'm not an expert on them obviously), but long story short it's loud as hell with the main fader at 5.0.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-20-2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to agree with Brad, but that movie sounds great with the fader at reference level (on our new completely QSC playback chains, monitor/crossover, amplifiers/ 3-way speakers).

How can it sound worse in the Italian version? After all, as we learned recently from Antonio, the Italian versions are so breathtakingly great - even better than the OVs!!!
Or could it be simply that Antonio has no clue WTF he is actually talking about? 11 subwoofers or not?

Why does it sound so good? Because it makes intelligent use of the properties of a cinema sound system. The key here is in the mixing of the elements, not blowing everything up out of proporttion.
I enjoyed it, probably the only part of the movie I really enjoyed without any reservations.
BTW, I listened to the soundtrack in Dolby Digital Surround EX and discrete 6-channel (without compression) + EX-decoding, and no, there is no actual audibly significant difference. And no, Antonio, YOU wouldn't be able to point out any difference between the DD and uncompressed tracks at all.
Please, please, please stop posing as a sound expert!!!!!

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 03:52 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night i watched a Star Wars Episode III, i also noticed that sound is little bit poor, but mix was ok except couple of parts where only center was working while was action on screen, but sound is mixed like director wanted not us.

Before movie was trailer (don't remember what) and sound was great, big dynamic, surround channels where always on, and when star wars start i was disappointed, projectionist didn't noticed that sound level is lowe that trailer, if he get volume up i think that movie would sound better.

This is not theatre i'm working, but they have:

CP-500
QSC amp's
KCS speakers

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 04:47 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great "Down-Under" in DTS!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 10:06 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Why does you continually attack me about this???? I'm NOT a sound expert, I just share with you ONCE my impressions on one of my tests, period! I didn't intend to show me as a sound expert, when I say it?

As I wrote, I didn't say that the problem is in few details, but that there are MISSING SURROUNDS in the italian versions.

Anyone can note it, floor too.

I screened the original version tonight. I went to bed at 7.00 am. There are THOUSANDS OF SURROUNDS that are not present in the italian versions. Subs are more present too even they're not as present as previous episodes.

But I know that a good soundtrack does not mean "high surrounds" and "high subwoofers", so I must admit that the OV soundtrack is way superior of ours. Someone made a terrible mistake somewhere.
I hope that Lucas, Fox and everyone that made ep III read this comment and found the responsibile of this murder... [Frown]

Michael

I don't want to be Rude, but I really do not understand at all why you're saying these to me. I'm just sharing with you some my impressions, why should you judge me? I'm not judging you at all, I will never judge you on your sounds capabilities until hear one of your sound systems. Until that, I will consider you as a good technician that Knows well his job. I would be rude if I would consider that you're not knowing well what you're saying. If I will come to your theaters, THEN I will consider myself able to express an opinion on your job, but I'll always respect you and your job and your opinions.

If you consider me a fake, someone that write here just because has time to loose, don't reply to me!

Brad
I must agree with you that the mix is clear and a bit low,I'm showing it at 8.0.

Bye
Antonio

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-20-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Geez, there is no need to be rude to Antonio. The man is practicing his craft, gathering knowledge, and expressing his opinion the same way the rest of us do.

All of us have been guilty of rudeness on occasion, particularly when the subject is political in nature, but this thread is strictly about audio.

Play nice with us other children, why don't you?

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Problems Here, CP500, DTS, JBL speakers.
First reel is a Greek Version (ie. a long time ago.., and the upscroling titles are in greek lettering), has all digital formats.
They opened it in open air thatres also. This evening I'm filling in a fellow projectinist in one such theatre and I will run it in analog, CP65 A type only. I don't expect to hear much things from it, but curius how the analog track is mixed.
C.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, I thinks it's pretty obvious that nobody is allowed to ask questions or discuss opinions when Michael is around. That or he's just racist toward us Italians. How long before this threads gets closed. BTW, Star Wars sucks and it sounded like shit.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-20-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Michael was really a psychic, he would have seen this coming already!! [evil]

Star Wars sounded pretty damn good at my theater, but what do I know.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2005 01:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lecturing other members publicly isn't very acceptable either.

If you have a problem with something, read the rules to find out what to do.

THREAD CLOSED

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: