Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with sound problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help with sound problem
Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 11:21 AM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone might be able to offer some advice with a few sound questions I have?

I have a TK 35 potable machine with original mono Sound head. The cable that comes from that sound head is a single centre core plus screen, which connects to two pins on an XLR plug on the front of the machine.

I assumed (from the XLR) that this was a balanced source. However am now not so sure given the one wire + screen I find inside.

I have a cable with an XLR socket to connect to the projector and the 1/4" jack input on a preamp.

The output of which connects to a standrad hi fi amp.

The sound quality is good but suffers from mains hum, which is at a level that it can only be heard in quiet scenes, but is districting.

The Pre Amp has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. - I am using unbalanced as I am connecting to the CD/AUX in jacks on the main amp which are unbalanced.

OK what Have I tried so far? - well the preamp has both unbalanced (1/4") and balanced (3 pin XLR) inputs. So I swapped my cable for a balanced XLR to XLR cable, connecting one core to the screen at the projector end and the other to the HOT wire. At the preamp end I have these wires conencted to + & - signal and the overall cable screen connected to pin one (ground).

I still get hum in this config, though it's less.

In the latter config I get NO hum if I disconnect from the projector itself.

When I have an unbalanced lead connected to the preamp 1/4" jack but not connected at the other end it becomes microphonic - in that if I rattle the cable itself I hear that in the speakers.

I am thinking that it's a problem with the soundhead or wiring in the projector itself.

I do have a Westrex 7000 stereo cell I plan to fit to this machine which has three (unscreened) wires coming from it.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated on how to resolved the initial (mono) problem, and how I could best connect the new stereo cell.

Regards
Clive

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get some good quailty two conductor plus shield cable.
Connect the two conductors with the insulation to the solar cell leads. Do not connect the shield at the sound head.
Connect the other end of the two conductors from the solar cell to the two pins in the XLR that are currently used. At this end only, connect the shield to the ground pin in the XLR.
This will "most likely" take care of the hum.

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, thanks for your help - this is in effect what I tried when I made up my custom XLR cable I think.

I used high quality twin core screened microphone cable. At the projector end I did not connect the screen at all. I then connected the two cores to the two wires from the cell - one beeing screen from the Cell. At the preamp end I wired the XLR as per standard - ie + & - signal and the cable screen to pin 1

Still produces hum, but only when the projector is connected - it's silent if I unplug that end.

Regards
Clive

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-22-2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might be getting light from a flourescent lamp hitting the projector cell, that makes a great hum source. See if it still hums in total darkness. Incandescent lamps are much less trouble but can do the same. If your exciter lamp supply is AC or (if DC) it has old and weak filter capacitors then hum comes straight from the exciter lamp. Does it hum with the exciter lamp off/removed?
Other than that your cell might be grounded internally and you're getting hum electrically. If you unplug the projector and make sure the case is floating and it gets quiet that may be your problem, you should read infinite resistance to the projector frame with an ohmeter on both cell wires. You can insert an audio transformer in the cell line to eliminate this, but you'll want a capacitor before the transformer to get rid of the DC component of the cell output and avoid distortion from saturating the transformer core.

Maddison Lake
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Maddison Lake   Email Maddison Lake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know its not as complicated as the other replies, But have you tried checking to see if there is any power backing back into your TK 35? (I know it doesn't seem probably) but it has happened before. I'd check the whole circuit. 2nd, are you sure its not your pre-amp itself?

-ML

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your suggestions. I have spent some time this evening trying a few more things.

I have removed the XLR plate and the entire solar cell and wiring from the machine and also covered the end of the cell so that it doesn't pick up any stray light.

As soon as I connect the XLR to the pre-amp I get some hum. Having tried to connect a mirophone to the pre-amp I get no hum and it works just fine, so I think this rules out a problem with the preamp.

This seems to support the view that the Solar cell itself is at fault - weird though I can see where it's getting mains hum from as it's not conenct to anything at all at present! not even bolted into the chassis of the machine! No lights or TV etc were on when I tried this as I wanted to ensure there wasn't a source of mains interference close by.

Next task - try the same experiment with my Westrex 7000 cell I think...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-23-2005 09:55 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try shorting the cell wires. If that quiets the hum down maybe try a load resistor - about 1K as a guess, across the cell itself (if you're not using a cinema preamp this resistor is often required). If the hum stays, check the connection of the cell to the XLR as it may be wired wrong.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 03:48 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI

I'd suggest isolating the preamp - RS do a small tx for this at around £7, or pop in and see us in Herne Hill (will cost you a six pack of Stella !)

Cheers

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - I tried your suggestion - shorting out the cell removes hum completely. I will try a resistor across the wires as you suggest. Thanks for that.

Also tried a lash up with my ex Westrex 7000 stereo cell - that also hums but less than the old Zeiss cell from the 1950's. Also the output level from the Westrex cell is significantly greater which helps. Perhaps that needs a resistor across it too to remove the small amount of hum

I guess the theory behind this is that the pre-amp wants to see a load across it's input?

Regards
Clive

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Peter once again!

Since you appear to deal in the rather sensible currency of 'the pint' as opposed to the Euro I would like to order a 10 screen fully kitted out multiplex from you. All theatres are to have Dolby Digital Sound (CP650's) and the two largest are to have 70mm 6-track magnetic and 35mm 4-track magnetic sound as well. The smallest theatre should seat no less than 250, and the largest 1000 (with balcony). A Compton organ would also be nice in the 'main' theatre (along with the usual spotlights SoopahTroopah's will do).

I would like all Phillips projectors, but no DP75's since I do not agree with the design of the C/O shutter circuit.

My son is currently a drayman for Greene King Brewery Ltd. Please advise on where you would like the renumeration dropped off, and on which days - he's normally in your area on Tuesdays, so I'll tell him to put a few extra barrels on for the next few years.

Also could you let me know the exact A.B.V for eacg barrel, and of course quantities. I will then forward you detail of location of new cinema etc.

With best wishes

David

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-27-2005 08:43 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solar cell is actually a current generating device rather than a voltage source (ie light in = current out) and has a very low effective impedance. Cinema preamps have inputs designed for this, "normal" preamps are designed for voltage sources. Voltage sources don't care much about load impedance as long as it isn't too low, common audio practice is to use very high input impedances so any source impedance can be tolerated - plus you can connect several inputs to a single source that way.
The "theory" is that the resistor load converts the solar cell current source into a voltage (E=IR). With a very high resistance (like a 100K amplifier input) the cell maximum voltage is reached with a miniscule current and the signal necessarily gets distorted because the cell can't make any more voltage. With a reasonable load resistance the cell current at 100% modulation produces a voltage below maximum and everything is as undistorted as possible. Too low a resistor will distort also if the cell's maximum current is reached before 100% modulation.
With a cinema solar cell directly connected to a high impedance input the sound is usually very "tinny", probably because the treble tends to be low modulation compared to the bass?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: You suggested a 1000 ohm load on the cell as a starting point. Would the optimum load be determined by looking at distortion on a scope?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-27-2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1K was just a guess.
Today I found a mono Kelmar solar cell and another unknown brand. Both had maximum voltage output (in open sun) of about 500mV - with whatever input resistance a Fluke meter has - and maximum current of 4mA - into again, whatever input resistance the Fluke has on amps input. This suggests something about the internal resistance and/or source impedance, but I don't know quite what.
Certainly the light intensity passing through a soundtrack from an exciter or LED source would be much weaker than full sun on the entire cell area, but the cell definitely has a maximum output voltage around 500mV.
With a 2K load resistor the cell managed to produce 100mVAC reading the flashing sunlight passed through my 5 blade window fan; that's enough to read the frequency so now I know it turns at 600RPM.
With a 200 ohm load it still managed to make 500mV. Two milliwatts!
In theory one could measure the output current with the cell installed in a soundhead with exciter or LED illumination threaded with clear film. If you select a resistor for close to 500mV with that current I think you should have pretty much the optimum load. I don't know if the cell will actually produce 500mV with reduced light though.
I didn't set up a soundhead with the mono cell and an exciter for any further experiments but I might get ambitious Monday.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2005 10:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Graham Rose
Compton organ would also be nice in the 'main' theatre (along with the usual spotlights SoopahTroopah's will do).

I would like all Phillips projectors, but no DP75's since I do not agree with the design of the C/O shutter circuit.

As long as they are the older Arc Soopah Troopahs that is fine... the new ones are genuine crap!

Yes absolutely... All FP-56's in the smaller houses and DP-70's in the large auditoriums.... [thumbsup] You would never be down for sale of a projector problem.... thats for sure...... I think Peter is going to want the entire "Pint" distillery in trade for this though.....

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 03:04 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David etc

Curious on the changeover comment on the DP75 - this machine is riddled with oddities however I thought the c/0 design was OK. At least it's not plastic - still, the two we refitted for Liverpool and the two at Mayfair run quietly and without pix movement. But yes, I think you wouldneed to equal the specific gravity of the DP75 with the SG of the Stella ! God I wish I had another DP70 to sell on this basis - would be pissed the rest of my life !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: