Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » When looking for replacement motor, what does the "J" in the frame number denote?

Author Topic: When looking for replacement motor, what does the "J" in the frame number denote?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fried a projector motor. It has a frame number of J48.
I can find a replacement @ Grainger that has a frame of 48, and it appears it will fit. But they don't list a frame with a J in it.
Anyone know what that denotes?

|  IP: Logged

Maddison Lake
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Maddison Lake   Email Maddison Lake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a manufacturing line code? Not sure, I always order and make sure they have a return policy and if it doesn't work BACK it goes. But if its both a 48 I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Although I have seen motors that the alphabetical number is different because of a fitting type they use BUT exactly the same mechanical operation.

-ML

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2005 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would take the bad motor with you when you go pick up the replacement. That J might designate a modified 48 frame. What projector is this off of? BTW: todays motors are generaly crap,alot of them made in China or overseas Asia. You may want to consider re-winding that motor if there is a good shop in your area.... especially if it is a modified frame.

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its off of a Simplex 35. It's a Howell Motor. Original I'm guessing.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-23-2005 06:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have come across the code J48 also with Leeson motors where they are cross-referenced as NEMA 48 type N.
Problem with replacement motors for the Simplex is that the shaft size is non-standard (I think it is 5/8", but I am not sure if I remember that correctly off the top of my head). The motors currently supplied by Ballantyne are made by Leeson and have that modified shaft diameter and are AFAIK not available from other vendors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael is correct. If that Howell Motor is a 1725 rpm model then you will more than likely have to have it rewound by a motor shop. The only other option is to convert the whole thing, pulleys and belts to sync type and install the new Leeson motor. At a cost of around 800.00+.

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grainger to the rescue. A frame 48 motor fit just fine. I even found a perm lubed one with ball bearings.

The only concern I have is the VERY rapid speed that it brings the projector up to speed vs the old motor.

It's a cap start motor, is there a way to possibly change the starting cap to slow down the ramp up speed of the motor slightly?

This is the one I used Frame 48

Thanks all.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put a 1.5 ohm 300 watt resistor in line with it

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally a smaller strarting cap will give less starting tourque. Same effect as Gord's resistor.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: