Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ETS setting a fine, fine example of quality (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ETS setting a fine, fine example of quality
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-25-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for ETS branches outside of Dallas, but this one certainly has it's share of problems (of which for the most part I have been nice and not posted about). This example however is just so damn pathetic, yet funny at the same time, that I just could not resist.

Check out this PHENOMENAL job in attaching a trailer to Paramount's "Longest Yard" reel 1. I received two prints and both had virtually identical splice jobs.

-

Yes indeed, that darkened area you see is masking tape!!! [Eek!] Furthermore they left the "FINISH" frame intact just before the opening Paramount logo. Genius!!! [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-25-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is this? It looks to me like ETS Dallas truly does value quality and presentation. So what's up with their management there? I bet whenever anyone is within their presence, their bowels become unstable. Perhaps there is an IQ test that employees there must take, and they look to make sure that nobody who scores over 65 is hired. Or maybe that qualification is just for their leader.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-25-2005 11:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?

If they weren't spliced together, how the heck did the "Finish" frame from the TRAILER end up on the head of the FEATURE?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They must be hiring ex-projectionists to splice the trailers on. That looks just like a typical used-print splice job.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 02:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...unless someone in the 'assembly line' received those reels with the added trailer that was held by the masking tape from the head of the 'assembly line', AND whom was SUPPOSED to splice the trailer to the feature, DIDN't or FAILED to do their job of joining the two together, either by not paying attention, not caring, or simply wasn't instructed to perform this task.

Some sort of instructional "communication breakdown" (yea-Led Zeppelin....)

(can't support this one being in a discount house)

-Monte

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 03:07 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'a rediculous.
Until recently splice-on attachments from ETS were usually out of frame and in some cases still had the tail of the original attachment on the head of R1.

Most recently however ETS has been ignoring my messages about the defective DTS timecode on certain reels of 2 of our prints of EP3.
I really don't think I'm going to persue it anymore but rather swap reels around until I get a print that doesn't drop in and out of DTS.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-27-2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...but then you've got the issue of mismatched CAP code to consider...

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't these morons just throw the trailer in with the film, and let the theater splice it on? If their not going to do the job correctly, why spend the time doing it half ass.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-27-2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
Why don't these morons just throw the trailer in with the film
Because they charge the studio a fee for the job.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The studio needs a refund.

How about everyone else? Was the attachment job OUTSIDE OF THE DALLAS ETS DEPOT done properly?

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2005 09:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ETS Milwaukee. Both prints of Longest Yard had this trailer out of frame. While on this subject, "Why can't the film labs place a simple to see frame line at the beginning and end of all trailers?"

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ETS Atlanta - trailer was spliced one sprocket out of frame.

Also, the depot was a mess - disorganized as all get-out ... many trucking companies were unable to get all of their prints until Thursday (myself included) - while they spent an hour looking for a specific print number of House Of Wax to give me (never mind the other 3 dozen they had in plain sight).

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 12:26 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a copy of The Longest Yard where the head of reel one was put on backwards (the beginning was on the inside, and the cut part that was made to splice on the attached trailer was on the outside..

at least the splice was in frame.. but the tape wasn't straight or centered on the splice..

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 08:33 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be happy to know that ETS (New York) which is actually in Rahway NJ, if nothing but the best. I always get my films in a timely manner and print print preparation is excellent. Even used prints are in excellent condition. I never get a junk print. Prints usually come all heads up or tails out.
I rarely have to rewind opposite windings.

Bernie

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-28-2005 08:37 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would be checking frame even if the trailer had been spliced on, so what's the difference? Much whining about very little.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: