Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help! no sound from cyan track with Kelmar IR reverse scan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help! no sound from cyan track with Kelmar IR reverse scan
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 10:14 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened Madagascar last night and had no sound when the feature started. The attached cyan track trailer played fine (through DTS) but the processor switched back to analog when the feature started. Upon manually switching back to DTS, the feature played fine. I had the same problem last week with The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Lets back up a bit. I've got a Century R5 sound head fitted with an eight year old Kelmar IR reverse scan reader. The output from the reader feeds an Ultra Stereo processor. As mentioned above I've got a DTS 6D (Thank God). I've heard that if you try to read a cyan track with white light you get sound, but at a reduced level. I've never heard of having no output at all from a cyan track using IR light. The Ultra Stereo preamp board has level meters for calibration purposes. While the feature played last night these meters showed no output at all! My pre-show policy header uses a standard magenta track, and this plays back fine.

It boils down to two questions:
Were some of the early model Kelmar readers not compatible with cyan, or is mine malfunctioning?

Why would my DTS unit switch the Ultra Stereo back to analog when the feature starts?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steven J Hart
Why would my DTS unit switch the Ultra Stereo back to analog when the feature starts?

Perhaps a reader needing adjustment of the 4 volt preamp level, a bad reader, bad DTS track, or bad disks.... I have not had any specific problems with the film out this way. This is generally why most operators pre-run a film before hand, assuming enough time to do so.

You just need to have your tech come in and change the IR led over to red. The IR led is not compatable with the cyan tracks. Also make darn sure that the new red led is running at a reasonable current draw, some of the early Kelmar power supplies need to be modified to ensure this.

Mark

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the solution, Mark. Any idea why the sound format doesn't want to switch to Digital when the feature starts?
Steve

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2005 05:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because there is a section of film between the last traler and feature that has no DTS timecode and for some reason your dts will not pulse back to digital.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 04:24 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just my 2 cents but relying solely on DTS or any digital format for that matter isn't a very good idea. You should really look into upgrading to red LED readers.

I've had about enough of DTS soundtracks, thanks to episode 3.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-29-2005 07:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Just my 2 cents but relying solely on DTS or any digital format for that matter isn't a very good idea.
Right you are....and doesn't that say something about the reliability of digital sound? You would think after all this time of it being in use, the bugs would be worked out completely, or at least enough for it to be as reliable as analog. I mean, imagine if when sound-on-film system was put into place, if ten years into its use, they still needed to keep the disk soundtrack running in case the optical track failed. So when will we get to a point where the digital track will need no analog backup, apart from needing it to play the few analog-only tracks on snipes and stuff?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-29-2005 08:10 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing digital is more than moderately reliable under the best of conditions, even the best booth is no computer lab.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 09:29 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
Nothing digital is more than moderately reliable under the best of conditions, even the best booth is no computer lab.
That is one of the biggest problems.
Anything digital requires much more tuning than it's analog counterpart.
And the locations of the digital tracks excluding the DTS timecode make them more susceptable to damage in poorly aligned and maintained film paths.
Incidentally the only problem I've EVER had with SDDS is when our processor's APR board had some faulty components causing noise in some chanells.
But a processor malfunction can't really be a negative against the format unless it's an issue that plagues it.

Moreover, in the event of a lab defect or other printing issue another digital format would have to be available and it seems to me that it's much more expensive than to keep analog around.
And since a lot of venues exist who will play film without a digital soundtrack (low budget, some previews, etc) it just makes sence to keep the optical as the backup.
If it's done right Dolby SR can sound very very good.
Most audiences can't tell the difference, not to say you should try and get away with saying it's just as good sounding as digital, but it's a completely passable backup.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2005 10:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with digital is the failure mode. Few theatres have optical systems which are perfectly aligned, but the system fails gracefully and the result is acceptable unless the alignment is way off (i.e. excessive dialogue audible in the surround channel, etc.). Further, even without test films and equipment, pretty much anyone can get an optical system to reproduce sound, even if the alignment isn't perfect. By contrast, digital either works or it doesn't, and it is difficult or impossible to tell why it isn't working without test equipment.

I still say that any print with an unplayable soundtrack is defective and should be reported to the distributor as such. Unless it is a single-inventory release (which hasn't been done yet for a major title, as far as I know), he should get a silver-track replacement. If no one complains, film distributors will assume that there are no problems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-29-2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem with digital is the failure mode. Few theatres have optical systems which are perfectly aligned,
Scott,

Thats why I preach that the analog chain HAS to be as good as the digital chain... Those that don't think this way should not be in the buisness as it shows they really don't care about sound or their customers... many dealers fit in this don't care catagory, or are preaching that analog is just a back up....thats bull and a dealer that really doesn't care about his customer! There is still the occasional small film that turns big that is not digital and to make defaults back from digital as un-noticable as possible.

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real reason that the digital sound we have today is not as reliable as analog sound is because it was not engineered for that level of reliability--it was engineered to do more (5.1 discrete) than the analog soundtrack, but in less physical space.
So, because SRD is in much less area than the analog track, and in a location that is easier to damage, it is not as robust. If it were blown up larger and took up more area, the SNR would be that much better and damage would be tougher.
SDDS seems to have its own special sets of problems (is it printing? Is it wear on the edges? Is it dirt migration?).

I guess you should be able to argue that DTS ought to be capable of matching the reliability of the analog track, at least where the discs are undamaged and present. I don't really have a good explanation for why that doesn't seem to be the case [ok, ok, moving parts?].

All in all, though, I don't think the wrong engineering choices were made. It's simply the case that rock-solid robustness was not a design goal for SRD and SDDS. One vaguely wonders how reliable a modern-day CDS reader might be [Smile]

--jhawk

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2005 11:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely agreed. Most of the stuff that I've shown lately has been either smaller films or older films, neither of which usually have digital tracks. No one should install digital anything until the optical system is as good as it can be. I hate seeing crappy systems with a DTS unit thrown in the rack so that the marquee can say "DIGITAL SOUND."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-29-2005 04:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
So, because SRD is in much less area than the analog track, and in a location that is easier to damage, it is not as robust.
Hawkeye,
Actually SRD has THE most robust(largest size)digital data of all the on film systems. The only thing SDDS has going for it and the only reason it sometimes works is the dual redundant tracks. Stand sometime through a bunch of previews and watch the two track LED's blink on and off on a 2000..... amazing that it works at all.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-29-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem isn't that it is digital persay but that it is going through an analog step (the film) and then must be read analog before it can be digitally decoded. As John pointed out the digital tracks are taking the "leftovers" in terms of space on the film and then being decoded with all of the printing difficulties mixed.

Digital audio is working rather well for DVDs and a slew of broadcast equipment. AES/EBU is pretty darn reliable. With metadata...the signal can identify itself and potentially ensure it is decoded properly.

How many DCinema theatres have problems with their audio being decoded right? It is discrete AES audio.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-30-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Digital audio is working rather well for DVDs and a slew of broadcast equipment. AES/EBU is pretty darn reliable.
It is, for the most part, Steve, but in the recording studio right upstairs from me one of the top engineers in the country has a saying....In digital, if you don't have it down three times, you don't have it at all. He always has multiple machines runnning on ever session.

And John raises a really good point....how much better than any of the current digital on film systems would the original Kodak CDS system be in terms of reliability, given that it had the entire space of the analog track. It wasn't using left-over geography -- it had plenty of uninterrupted space. Reliability might have been quite as high as analog. Anyone ever work with that system in a regular theatre situation? In theory it had to be as reliable as analog because there was no backup whatsoever. I wonder if it was, especially over splices & the like.

I think Dolby really did their homework in R&D on where to put their track. They went to something like 30 regular theatres and gave them 20 feet of black film and had it spliced into their trailer pack. They had the theatres run it for 3 months and then they took them back and inspected them for wear. They compiled the data and discovered that the least wear was exactly where they decided to put the track. In fact, they were toying with the place they first were looking at, i.e., the film edges (ala SDDS) as it seemed like a natural place to consider. But the wear patterns told them this area was very problematic. Sony attempted to compensate for the wear problems in this area by redundency on the each side, but from what we keep hearing, when prints get older, even doubling the tracks doesn't seem to be enough.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: