Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP 650 Too loud to handle at 4.3?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP 650 Too loud to handle at 4.3?!
Jason Greek
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Jason Greek   Email Jason Greek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I've been looking around these forums for some time, and of course, the manuals for our equipment, and it keeps staring me in the face: THE DOLBY CP650 RUNS AT A REFERENCE POINT OF 7.0!!!
The only problem I have with that is, Our large houes can be earsplitting at 4.3, with some prints having to be run as low as 3.5! There can be noticeable sacrifices to surround quality. So, I was just wondering; are there any other adjustments that can be made to fix this, is it supposed to run like this (all theatres in our chain with 650's run around this volume or lower)or is the problem elsewhere?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
*You have lousy acoustics.
*You have lousy speakers.
*Your tech did a lousy job of B-chaining the CP650.

It's one of the three, or maybe a combination.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-30-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe the levels were set properly, but with the trimpots on the amps not all the way up, and then somebody decided to turn them up to "enhance" the sound.
I used to be against setting the trimpots all the way up and lower the channel level in the processor, for noise considerations. But I have changed my mind, mostly because some recent equipment is sufficiently quiet, and yes, I do see now that there is no other way to keep people from playing with the levels.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Michael's theory is yet another one. To add to it, an amplifier could've died (probably the center) and it was replaced by someone other than the tech with his sound equipment (as such, not being properly calibrated).

At least with the amp gains maxed, a projectionist or manager can change the amp out and be pretty darned close to the level it needs to run at. I however tend to go for other compromises. For example, if I find that after tuning the amps all need to be between 1/2 and 3/4 up, I will set them all to 3/4, then adjust output pots accordingly to keep things "standardized" while still minimizing noise as best as possible. Sometimes I will put a tag on the amps "gain at 9:00" too.

Jason Greek
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Jason Greek   Email Jason Greek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all amps are original. we've only been open for a year and it's always been this way. but i have also noticed that sometimes, and there seems to be no pattern to it, the "diagnostics" section on the monitor shows a "load fault." it doesn't seem to have amy affect, but it does concern us. As well, the head projectionist from another of our theatres, says our centre amp has a few Display LEDs lit up that shouldn't be. our booth was set up in a hurry and some things may have been overlooked, and the sound does seem fine for the most part, but it does concern us a lot! I really don't know how to explain it. I'll get some pictures to help and show you amps are QSC Digital Cinema Amplifiers... That's all i can remember off the top of my head. I'm in tomorrow, I'll get back to you,
and thanks for the suggestions! greatly appreciated, and I'll mail a pic of me tomorrow when i post the pics of the amps [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-30-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those LEDs may be the clipping indicators, if they are on a lot, it certainly may be the case that the output level is set too high on the processor. There is also a level setting in the DCM which may not have been configured properly.
The Load Fault indicator tells you when an amp has no output compared to the input, or when the amp output is open or shorted. If you have these lights come on intermittently, you either have an intermittent problem OR maybe the data cables which go from the DMC to the amps are not plugged in properly.

Maddison Lake
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Maddison Lake   Email Maddison Lake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be wrong, but using the CP650 you should be running the amps wide open and then B-Chain the whole thing. Amps (expecially new ones) need to be ran wide open for digital use. Analog is a different story.

-ML

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-30-2005 09:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maddison: There is no "digital" reason to run the amps wide open, and there are very good reasons to set them to a lower level. Those reasons have been dealt with in other threads but basically for the lowest noise all system components should operate at their optimum signal level. Setting the amps wide open constrains the processor output level adjustment.
We're saying here that the problem may be that the installer set up the system properly with the amps at a middle gain setting, but somebody has turned them up all the way and thus the CP650 must be run way below the reference 7 level.
Also, the risk of this happening may make setting the amps wide open a good idea even if that doesn't produce the system's optimum gain structure.
More likely in a rushed install: nobody ever did a B chain setup.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2005 12:02 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly the same at our setups, Normal level is 4.0 (somtimes lower).
I tried to go up a bit on Star Wars III, but 4.6 seems to be the absolut limit the audience can cope with.

Our Cimena opened February 2004, with CP650 on 3 screns and CP500 on 1 screen, The same levels on all four screens. The CP650 are new, the CP500 are 5-6 Years old. New speakers (KCS) and new amps (Lab).

[ 06-01-2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Paer Hoegberg ]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2005 02:49 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our normal levels are in the 5-5.5 range. this is fine on our cp65 but on our two cp45's, if we play something in mono we have to crank it to 7. would i be right in assuming that if 7 was the normal level for the other formats then it would still be correct for mono? (i'm told there is no mono level adjustment on the cp45.)

yes, it's pretty rare that we see something in mono these days, but a nearby theater has a cp45 and has a regular midnight series. they have to ride the volume as sound formats change and the results are less than satisfactory.

carl

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-31-2005 03:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paer Hoegberg
New speakers (KFC)
KFC now make speakers? Do they come with 2 sides?

There is no real standard for mono, one of the reasons Dolby left about 10dB (7-10) headroom on the fader when they introduced their system in the 70s. There may have been a standard for Academy Mono that I am not aware of, but even then there was such a variety of mono formats over the decades that you can not say this or that is the correct level.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-31-2005 07:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, the CP65 manual says to set the mono trim to 79dB (not 85), while at least one other Dolby manual (CP50, I think) says to set mono to 85dB.

If you set the CP65 mono trim to 85dB (which I did by mistake once), the sound is way too loud with mono prints (a fader setting of about 5.5-6 is about right for those), though the sound will drop if you switch back and forth between A/SR and mono with an SR print. Thus, 79dB is probably about right for the CP65 mono trim.

Also, if you reset the levels at any time, be sure to reset the bypass levels as well; otherwise, you may have a big surprise (very low sound or blown speakers/eardrums) if something fails and you have to run in bypass.

Jason Greek
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2005 08:38 AM      Profile for Jason Greek   Email Jason Greek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as far as the "load fault" goes, I noticed Star wars is registering one every show.
quote: Michael Schaffer
The Load Fault indicator tells you when an amp has no output compared to the input, or when the amp output is open or shorted. If you have these lights come on intermittently, you either have an intermittent problem OR maybe the data cables which go from the DMC to the amps are not plugged in properly.
Star wars was really the main reason I started this whole thing up; we recieved a notice, all you guy/gals may have too, that told us not to run ep III below 7.0, so we have been, but we've been getting complaints. we have managed to sneek it down to about 5.5-6 without management noticing, but like i said, that house usually runs at about 4.3

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-31-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, the Load Fault only works properly if the installer sets up the loads properly in the software (notes the impedance of the speakers and how may are series and parallel.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-31-2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore those notices in the cans. It's absurd to expect that every sound system is calibrated properly. As it is, if you are making your customer's ears bleed and inducing headaches, you are distracting from their enjoyment of the movie.

(We are running every show of Episode III at 8.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: