Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong G-9727 Changeover Problem

Author Topic: Strong G-9727 Changeover Problem
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have Strong Changeover mechanisms, you may have already encountered (or soon will) a problem. Two of mine ceased to operate within a day of one another. The problem in both instances was the Clevis Pin that joins together the connector for the push rod and the two Solenoids.

Seems that the Clevis pin is made of aluminum, and took a beating to the point that it broke, severing the connection between the Solenoids and the Connector, rendering the device inoperable.

I have since replaced all of the Clevis pins on all of our Strong Changeovers. Those that had not failed were on the verge of failure and badly worn.

My equipment is a little over five years old. For those of you with similar age equipment, it would be advisable to pop off the cover and inspect the mechanism for excessive wear.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-01-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cotter pins made out of a piece of coat hanger wire in place of the clevis pins are what I usually use.

As a matter of fact, every single one of the changeovers in the theater where I started out now has coat hanger wire where the lift rods and clevis pins used to be. They all broke within the first year of operation. We finally got sick of ordering replacement parts so we got out the heavy duty wire cutters and a needle nose pliers.

We fabricated our own replacement parts and haven't had a problem ever since.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I have never had this happen to any changeovers that came from Kelmar....... I don't think KElmar makes them for Strong.... If you experinece problems you may just want to get he pins from them instead since its pretty much identical.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-02-2005 09:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar version was first by several years. I, too, have never had the problem with the Kelmar changeover.

Otherwise, a reasonably good COPY!!

Louis

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 05:11 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We found exactly the same problem a couple of years ago. Our projection support company supplied us with some steel bolts and nuts (with plastic inserts to prevent loosening) of the same diameter as the original clevis pin.

A little fiddly to fit, but you only have to do it once per changeover unit. Hopefully. ;-)

Alex.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-03-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the Kelmar is a cop of the old Thide changeover

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-03-2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
And the Kelmar is a cop of the old Thide changeover

Don't you mean Theide [Confused] ?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-03-2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not had the problem with Kelmar's Clevis pin...I prefer Strong's Hitch clip over Kelmar's Cotter Pin though...so Kelmar Clevis and Strong's hitch

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: