Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS drive keeps ejecting

Author Topic: DTS drive keeps ejecting
Bhaskar Dhungana
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 04:21 AM      Profile for Bhaskar Dhungana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS 6 two drive. The lower drive keeps ejecting the CD. I have tried the same CD in the upper drive, it works fine. I have also tried using another CD in the lower drive and the same thing happens. Help.

[ 06-03-2005, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Bhaskar Dhungana ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2005 05:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like that one drive has gone bad. Use the "B" disc in the "C" drive-it'll work fine that way (that is if this IS a 6-D unit, for the DTS-6 is the two drive unit).

If this unit has a white cabinet with the blue face and with white caddy-type drives, this be the DTS-6, which needs a required upgrade, for the one drive has seen better days.

....call your tech and he'll do the upgrade to replace the two drives, put in a new AQRM (rom-dos) card, a new SCSI interface card, and the required version EPROM chip as well.

..be the best fix to solve this problem.

good luck-Monte

Janne Salminen
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 05:47 AM      Profile for Janne Salminen   Email Janne Salminen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the same kind of problem with a few DTS units. In many cases cleaning the drive has helped. Try blowing some compressed air into the drive, it might help for a while. You'll probably have to change the drive soon anyway. Cleaning could be like first aid until you get your local tech-guy there.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted 06-03-2005 05:47 AM CT (US) (3:47 AM Local)
I've had the same kind of problem with a few DTS units. In many cases cleaning the drive has helped. Try blowing some compressed air into the drive, it might help for a while. You'll probably have to change the drive soon anyway. Cleaning could be like first aid until you get your local tech-guy there.

I encountered the same issue almost a year ago during one of my last training shifts. We contacted our tech and he suggested the same thing: blowing some compressed air in the drive. We used our compressor and that did the trick.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-09-2005 05:08 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte's got it pegged. Those particular drives are obsolete and need to be upgraded.

Welcome, Olivia and Janne! [Smile]

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2005 10:56 AM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful using an air compressor to blow air in moisture sensitive equipment. Canned air would be a better choice for this application. Air compressor air is usually contaminated with water(condensation from air cooling off in tank), oil, and dirt. OK air for blowing out somethings, not so good for sensitive equipment.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I would prefer to use canned air, our district manager thinks it's too expensive to buy now. That's what happens when a projectionist, who is no longer with the company, uses it instead of the compressor for nightly compressing of the equipment! [Frown]

Oops, just read a FAQ about quoting the previous post before mine... My bad! Fixed now!!! [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-13-2005 05:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can have the air filtered for moisture on a compressor. Just like they do for use with painting to avoid putting moisture in the paint. It goes right on the output of the compressor and usually has a glass vile that you can see filling up with moisture and can be subsequently emptied.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is everyone's member pics?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: