Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Digital Sound in a Drive-In (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS Digital Sound in a Drive-In
Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished installing DTS in a Drive-In in California and it sounds GREAT in Stereo over the FM. I've had the system for a few years but just never had the time to actually put it into a theatre. This last week I finally had the time and I put it to use in one of my friends Drive-Ins. Has anyone else done this?

I will have pictures on rsem.com in a day or so.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-13-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a good number of drive-ins have done this, since at least the release of Star Wars Episode I.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 04:11 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray Andres, my old engineer at UA in Corpus installed on of the first DTS units in his Drive In theatre in 1996 in Abilene TX.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked in a drive in, but here is my (probably ignorant) best idea ever.

1) Broadcast the rear surround channels on a separate station.
2) Advertise to patrons to bring a battery powered boom-box (ghetto-blaster?!)
3) patrons throw the boom-box in their back seat and tune it to the surround station.
4) patrons adjust their car radio to play to the front speakers only.
4) Patrons can now make out in their car while listening to your movies in true surround.

eh?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Ondraceck's drive in, the Rodeo, up in Washington State has all CP-65's with DTS on two screens and SRD on one. Probably makes him one of the very few D.I.'s that are even able to properly decode the SR analog track.....

I installed a MOD-2 DIT processors on each screen at the Melody Drive In near Bass Lake, IN. Fred still runs speakers as well as AM, and FM stereo. We installed an eq card in both the processors to eq the speakers to make them sound half way decent.

Mark

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mix the center channel into both the left and right channels, and the surrounds into the left and right? Do you use any compression because of the wide dynamic range?

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are mixing the channels like this:

L,C,LS,Sub = Left Channel
R,C,RS,Sub = Right Channel

I am using the standard mixing formulas for making the Lt/Rt tracks on a film, but I am not using an encoder, we are simpling mixing the tracks. I did make Center Channel 1 dB hot on both Left and Right so the dialog would come through very clean and crisp. When you sit in a car with a good sound system you actually get a phantom center with dialog and it sounds quite good.

The FM unit I am using for this system has a built in Limiter and Compressor that I setup very carefully, but this did allow me to play the dynamic range of film tracks and still get a good volume level over the FM transmitter.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-13-2005 11:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote " am using the standard mixing formulas for making the Lt/Rt tracks on a film,"
No Ls and RS in a Lt Rt Matrix are encoded out of pahse to the centre channel

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 11:41 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I say "mixing formulas" I mean LEVELS. Using an encoder on this system would be overkill for a Drive-In and most cars do not have the ability to decode an encoded Lt/Rt and create all the channels. The mixed system allows for all content to be heard and it simply desingates the content to the left of right side of the car at the right level. The system sounds great as a mix and the customers love it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've listened to the digital sound at Jack Ondracek's Rodeo 3 drive-in (Port Orchard-Bremerton, Wash.) and it's fantastic! The main screen has Dolby Digital (and 7,000 watt lamphouse for a bright picture). The other two screens are DTS Digital with 5,000 watt lamphouses.

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 01:30 AM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken...do you know how they are mixing the channels? Is it similar to, or the same way I am doing it?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-14-2005 03:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have mentioned this before, but as long as a DI is investing in DTS and obviously concerned about quality sound, I suggest they look into using Dolby's Virtual Surround technology to create a surround sound environment. This process is used in many sound cards for computers and it's applied to TV and boom boxes all the time. It creates a fairly believable surround channel from two speakers. The one drawback that makes it impractical in large invironement is that to get the proper surround sensation, you have to be sitting pretty much between the two speakers, as you do in front of a computer monitor. This would work very well in the cab of a car as pretty much the whole cab is in the sweet spot.

Sony makes a processor that will take the five channels and processes them for virtual surround. This is for headset listening, but no reason at all that it wouldn't be easily adapted for DI use after the processor. Once you got that in place, you've only got one thing left to do -- HYPE: The ONLY Drive-In in the WORLD that presents movie soundtracks in full Dolby Virtual Surround, creating a 360* soundfield that rivals anything you will find in an indoor cinema! The beauty is that I think this Sony unit (there must be lots of other manufactures out there as well who have incorporated this Dolby technology into their products) cost under $300! Small price to pay for the ability to offer surround sound.

I heard this at a Computer Expo in NYC maybe 8 years ago now and it was damn impressive -- you would swear there were speakers behind your head.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 06:40 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, an untapped revenue stream for Drive-Ins.

In the early days of FM stereo, when most music stations were on AM & most cars had only AM receivers, FM stations (& the sister AM's) made a tidy little stream by selling "FM Converters" to add FM to your radio.

Go ahead & matrix it all down in the rack, & sell "Surround Sound Converters" at the snack bar.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-14-2005 07:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I would look at the SRS system as a surround option for driveins
I built a cheap encoder for a drivein once and it worked very well even in a two speaker care the depth of the surround effect was still noticed as it appeared to move outside the car

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack has his digital sound system patched into a computer in the booth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: