Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pennywise CA21 Error Codes

Author Topic: Pennywise CA21 Error Codes
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A colleague is looking at a Pennywise CA21, which is giving an error code of 'F L F'.

He's been unable to obtain any info on what this error code means, I'm told there's nothing in the manuals, and the manufacturer won't release him this information, none of the UK dealers for Pennywise are either willing or able to help either.

All suggestions greatly welcomed!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-16-2005 07:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lamp fail circuit. If the CA21 is so equipped, the photocell in the lamphouse must "see light" in order to complete the circuit. This can be bypassed with a jumper wire across the two terminals #61 and 62 in this manual download. (If you are not using that particular breakout board, wiring will be slightly different.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the manufacturers refuse to tell him what this code meant? Do they hate their customers?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad, that at least cofirms info we got from Kinoton, albeit for the EMK1, and gives him a line of investigation to pursue. There are no LDRs at this place, but there is some connection to that input, from a relay associated with xenon control in the console.

I have no idea why Christie/Pennywise won't help, I can only think it's because we are not their dealer, however their UK dealers wouldn't help either.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or they might be afraid that you'd sell that secret code to the Russians or something. [Roll Eyes]

Gotta guard those priceless secrets!

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete

He assured me that there was nothing connected to the lamp sense input !

The info thing rings a bell - we wanted to install Kinotons alongside Pennywises at the Ritzy however Pennywise were "less than forthcoming". Ditto the UK dealer - who ended up selling them the new automations because everyone else had their hands tied.

I think it's a short thinking policy (not to freely hand out product information). If the only way that you can hold on to a client is through being prissy with vital service info then you dont deseve to hold on to that client. We (and I believe your comnpany) are very open with info, as indeed you know - our clients are free to chose whoever they want to service their sites - of course we would like it to be us but hey, you win some and you lose some - but if the client wants to use a third party then we will continue to support that person and freely issue whatever info they want about what we have supplied. It's the customer's gear after all !

I think we both deserve a beer anyway from Telford way - neither of us gains anything from the guy who is asking about the fault codes, nor did we supply the gear, however we are both trying to help him. Hell, we are supporting gear that we dont get paid for, didnt sell and that we dont represent the manufactures of. Scots and Kiwis rule in the generosity stakes !

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yanno the error code that our man got over the phone was somewhat different from the one our man saw with his eyes.... It's a constant problem when trying to diagnose over the phone, 'chinese whispers' I believe the phrase is!

Sometimes we are too generous for our own good.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to note......
quote:

If the only way that you can hold on to a client is through being prissy with vital service info then you dont deseve to hold on to that client. We (and I believe your comnpany) are very open with info, as indeed you know - our clients are free to chose whoever they want to service their sites - of course we would like it to be us but hey, you win some and you lose some - but if the client wants to use a third party then we will continue to support that person and freely issue whatever info they want about what we have supplied. It's the customer's gear after all !

I'll pass it onto an interested party.....

[ 06-16-2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-16-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Please use the QUOTE function instead of breaking the page format with what you did.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 05:26 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some scots anyway ..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: