Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Installing New Screen

Author Topic: Installing New Screen
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are planning on replacing one of our screens this summer. Has anyone installed their own screen, or have you left it up to the pro's? Dimensions are 12x26. We were going to have the current screen professionally cleaned, until we priced a new screen. I'm assuming that hanging it, isn't too hard when using a couple ladders and a scafolding setup. Any suggestions??? I think that it will be harder to get the new screen upstairs, than to set it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Don,
I probably hung that original screen in your theatre. Your hands have to be kept clean!, Don't touch the front of the screen surface..... ever, Its easy, take your time, have extra help available, and yes, rollable scaffolding is just about mandatory. I may have done it with springs in which case its really easy. If its laced then it'll take some time to get it laced in and stretched in properly, I can't remember that far back which I used. The exact method depends on what screen company you buy the new one from. Harkness Hall is the best, Hurley is second best by my experience.... there are no other screens you'd want to buy other than these two. Stewart screens are too fragile and have a shorter life span. Teknikote sucks big time overall but they are the cheapest... ya gets what ya pays for. Oh, be sure tio have adaquate lacing cord handy for the job.

Mark

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my limited experience I prefer springs...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Springs are ok on a Hurley but not on a Harkness. Harlness's have to be spring on three sides and laced at the bottom. Harkness wants the screens stretched about 5 to 8" depending on the frame and situation. Doing so makes the seams vanish.

Mark

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you used lacing. The screen has seen better days. I'm assuming that you installed it in 1976, the year KING KONG was released. I remember seeing that in the "new balcony theatre" back in the day! You would be thrilled over the new improvements to the theatre. Johnson boys are out. New owner believes in reinvesting, not living off the profits. We are planning on new seats in all 3 auditoriums in the next few years. Upgrading sound in lower auditoriums, new lense. Getting back to the screen.....Were do you start the lacing, I'm assuming the top. Did you use a level to keep it horizontal?? Do I lace the top, then a side, or the bottom??? Any special order in doing this?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That upstairs theatre was a neat room and If mymory serves me that might be a silver screen we put in for 3D! I would reccomend a matte white as thats a pretty short but wide seating area, a gain screen would have too much fall off on the sides. If its a wooden frame then just get a couple of pounds of roofing nails. Use these just in far enough from the edge to clip the springs to. Install the new screen with springs that your dealer can get for you with the screen. Remember, if you get a Harkness Hall screen spring the top and sides, then lace the bottom and pull ot about 5 to 8 inches down to stretch it and the seams will vanish. For lacing I usually start in the center and go out to the sides, with two doing the lacing its really fast. Going out from the center makes stretching it alot more even and easier to control.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: