Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exhibition in Foreign Countries (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Exhibition in Foreign Countries
Dick Twentyman
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Dick Twentyman   Email Dick Twentyman       Edit/Delete Post 
A general question - when a film is made in the USA, and is to be marketed in European countries, presumably it is sold in the language of the country. Are these films screened with subtitles, or with dubbed translated sountrack? In either case, where is the dubbing/sub-titling done?

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 02:57 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is different from country to country. In France, Austria and Germany for example, those films are dubbed (I think also in Italy). In Belgium, the films are shown with subtitles.
Don't know where the dubbing/subtitling is done either.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 03:15 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All foreign films are being presented with subtitles here, except those destined for younger audience (disney, dreamworks animated etc) which are dubbed in Greek. Both subtitling and dubbing is done here. There is always a Disney supervisor for their films during voice casting and dubbing process. Printing of the dubbed films although it can be done in Greece, I think Disney still prefers English Labs.

Christos.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also here in Sweden all foreign films are subtitled, except those for children (under 8-10 years old). Some of those films are released in a few subtitled prints, running in the major cities for the audience to select dubbed or subtitled version.

All dubbing is done here (but some, ex Disney, have to approve the actors). The subtitled are done here in Sweden, but sometime in other Countries, mostly UK.

Even Swedish films are sometime released in a few subtitled prints, for hearing-impaired....

Today(and next week) we are 8 films.
* Steget efter (Swedish)
* Star Wars EPIII, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Kingdom of Heaven, The Pacifier, Million dollar baby, War of the Worlds (subtitled)
* SpongeBob squarepants (Dubbed)

The last time we had a dubbed film was Heffalump (half a year ago)

Pär

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 04:30 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as sweden, Denmark has kids stuff dubbed, all other foreign films subtitled. Two local labs do the subtitling.
Guess, it's a question of getting used to one or another. Subtitles are not pretty, and sometimes not in focus with the picture, but - as just now on a german tv-channel, listening to Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster, argueing in german in "Run Silent, Run Deep" is just plain awful.

per

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-26-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Even Swedish films are sometime released in a few subtitled prints, for hearing-impaired...."

We have this in the US as well, it's called "open captioning" (because everyone can see it, unlike "closed captioning," where only the people who want it can see it).

Note that captioning is distinct from subtitling -- subtitles translate the words, but captions tell you about other sounds, like "*door slams*," etc., which do not show up in subtitles.
(This is a big deal for the hearing impaired.)

--jhawk

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-26-2005 12:54 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, films are dubbed in German, Italian, Spanish, and French. All other markets in Europe are too small to merit/justify dubbing - thank goodness. I personally hate dubbed versions. The other general rule is that kids' movies are dubbed basically everywhere, understandably. Kids can't be expected to cope with subtitles. The dubbings are done in the respective countries, most German dubbings are done in Berlin, some in Munich. A peculiar situation exists in France: even though our French friends like to demonstrate at every possibly opportunity that they despise foreign languages, and most of them categorically refuse to speak foreign languages - a lot of French people do understand some basic English, but they like to pretend they don't -, they still show foreign releases on many screens in the original version. I think this is because they do have a feeling for cinema as an art form. For the same reason, they do make really cool films once in a while. Because they like to switch between French an original versions, DTS is really big in France. They even had their own sound-on-disc system once (I think it was made by Thomsen) which DTS had to buy out for patent stuff reasons.
Even though I hate dubbing, I have to admit that it is done on a very high level in Germany, with really good voice talents (usually theater actors), and experienced dialog directors. In France, it is done on a reasonably OK TV standard level. In Italy, the dubbings are quite bad and usually out of sync, in Spain they are absolutely beyond good and evil. Every 14-year old with a tape recorder can do better dubbings than they do in Spain.
In most European metropoles, or other cities which like to pretend they are somehow international and multicultural, you will find a reasonable number of cinemas playing movies in the OV. Berlin actually has a whole modern multiplex - the Sony Center, which I made happen, but that is an entirely different story - which plays only OVs, and a fairly large number of "arthouses" which also play OVs. Vienna also has a good number of OV theatres. Vienna is a really cool city anyway, even though I believe it still has the highest number of suicides in Europe.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend in Amsterdam said they usually dub the big releases and subtitle the smaller ones.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
US films are released in many Asian countries too. Almost always they are subtitled, as the business in each country isn't big enough to justify the costs of dubbing (and it's that much harder with totally different languages such as Mandarin or Thai).

Depending on the distributor, and the size of the print run, the subtitling is either done at the lab during the printing as an overlay negative or printed into the picture negative (we do a lot of those here) or it is done in the destination country by chemical etching (or occasionally laser etching).

In most cases, the translation of the dialogue is done in the destination country, by a native speaker of the subtitle language. It's a particular skill - fitting what people say in to a single line is easier in some languages than others, US slang is sometimes meaningless (or wrong-meaning) to non US-English speakers, etc.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Russia? Are English language films generally subtitled or dubbed for exhibition there?

High Tension (Haute tension) was about ½ & ½ subtitled/dubbed here... sometimes it switched from one to the other in the middle of a line of dialogue.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 02:18 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Croatia films are with subtitles, but only film's for younger audience are dubbed.

For cartoons i think dubbing is ok, but i prefer films with subtitles.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all !

Popular films are dubbed in France for "large audience" and especialy those for young public. (It is the same thing at principal channels tv.)
Notice that all are also presented in original versions with subtitles in selected theaters [Big Grin]

We have a lot of actors specialized in dubbing.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In England foreign language films are normally subtitled.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Furley wrote
quote: Stephen Furley
In England foreign language films are normally subtitled.
Hm, I have heard that the only thing separating Britain and the United States is the English language, but it must be quite expensive to subtitle all releases "from the colonies"... [Wink]

Oh, why can't the English learn to set
A good example to people whose English is painful to your ears?
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely
disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!

(MY FAIR LADY)

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Sweet Sixteen was shown on TV it was subtitled (Despite being in a UK based regional dialect of English). I don't know about the Theatrical release.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: