Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » xenon sensor fault

Author Topic: xenon sensor fault
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 10:13 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here is an interesting one and a frustrating one I may add.

It started with panalogic shutting down the system at the "picture on" command . The fault reading on display was show stopped due to xenon failure . The xenon was glowing ok so I suspected the xenon senor was not working.

The immediate remedy was to run the show on manual , which we did for the whole day.
In the meantime i checked the span and adc level which were all fine.

The techical people advised me to disconnect the sensor. This i did but the xenon fault still shut down system at picture on command.
We then reversed the sensor option switch and i tryed putting a wire across the LDR , but the system would still fail at picture on!

I decided that maybe the fault was on the main panalogic control board , maybe a relay stuck or something , my next experiment was to swap a xenon sensor from another projector with the one giving me trouble.

This I did , expecting the one giving me trouble to be fixed and the other would start failing. the end result was that both machines are now working perfectly?

Does this make sense to anyone out there ?

|  IP: Logged

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 06:00 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are experiencing what we in the Marine Corps refer to as FM.

"How did ya fix it?" <officer to enlisted>
"FM Sir!"

FM = Fuck'n Magic !!!

No, it could have been a just a dirty sensor and removing it removed a piece of dust or something without your knowlege.

Or, it was loose and you didn't realize as you were removing it.

Paul

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-27-2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be looking for a broken, or shorted/melted, lead wire to the sensor.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 03:54 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
must be magic , I have had that sensor in and out of that machine over a dozen times prior to swapping it , and I had checked the wiring as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: