Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 2nd hand Simplex Projector head

Author Topic: 2nd hand Simplex Projector head
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2005 04:22 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just need ideas on where is the best place to start to track down a good second hand Simplex 35 projector head.There doesn't seem to be too many lying around down here.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-28-2005 05:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much any theatre equipment supplier in the US should be able to help you find a good used or rebuilt one. They are readily available here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth would you want one of those pot metal pieces of crap?

Mark

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, Cant see why you would want another Simplex except for spares for the others.There are plenty of better projectors for sale here as a couple of older style plexes have closed due to new ones opening and the gear is for sale .If you are intrested let me know and will find out what is available.
cheers,
Steve

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2005 12:54 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark-I totally agree but i already have 3 of them,one is an absolute P.O.S. so I would like to replace it and keep one for spares.I would prefer to throw the lot out the window but it all comes down to money.
Steve- I will contact you but I'm a bit apprehensive going to a different brand of projector as I've actually learnt abit about these pieces of junk and I(and my projectionists) have no experience with other projectors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2005 01:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Unfortunately I have to suffer through existing installation add ons too now and then!

Mark

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2005 01:46 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Do I have any other options?
Is there other brands of projectors that will sit on top of the Simplex sound head to mate with a Super Lume-X lamphouse or would I have to get a complete projector/sound head/base to mate with the Super Lume-X.
Ian

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-29-2005 04:29 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the correct gear(SH-1xxx)/pulley(5-Star) setup, one should be able to mate just about any American projector to a Simplex soundhead. The same should also be true for Century and RCA soundheads.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats true Aaron! I've even got a Simplex running on a Century sound head.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: