Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I got an amp for the home theatre! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I got an amp for the home theatre!
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:34 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think of this?

KinTek stuff:

a KT-1003 stereo processor,
a Digimate 1100 quad amplifier,
and a KT-1045 monitor/exciter power supply.

I looked thru the manuals, and figured I'd find manuals. Alas... No manuals.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing great there, unless you got it for free, and maybe not even then .... I may have a manual; have to check. Is that the processor that needed an external PC board (had a D9 connector)for set up?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, do I ever remember Kintek. Unreliable, not as good audio as Dolby and cost more as well. Louis

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I've heard KinTek stories from our tech. My theatre has a bunch of them, but are being replaced projector by projector.

Trust me. This amplifier will never be overloaded in my house.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crapaplex Odeon used TONS of those Kintek units for their mono houses.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 06:49 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the BIG problem with this equipment?

John W: I do need a manual.

Another question: When were these units built?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTEWhat is the BIG problem with this equipment? [/QUOTE]

At least 97.698% of all the requipment Kintek prodiced has died more than once.... The worst of all were the exciter supplies! I reccomend that you fuse your speakers!

I once put one of those amps out of its misery at the rifle range [thumbsup] .

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 07:38 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Bruce. I checked the manual pile, but no KT-1003. I do have a KT-800 processor and a KT-60 subwoofer manual, which you are welcome to if they are close.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for looking, John. I'll keep looking.

KinTek: Bad soldering? Bad designs? Underrated parts? Whats the real problem?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
KinTek: Bad soldering? Bad designs? Underrated parts? Whats the real problem?

All of the above really. They were either a part of DBX or owned by DBX or it might have been the other way round... what ever it was we had just as much trouble with DBX back when I worked in HI-Fi repair in the early 70's....

MArk

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 09:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleieve they were all part of Unisync back then
those kintek digmate plug in amps were a marvel of engineering when they worked [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, You mean that we'd marvel at them IF THEY WORKED..... very little stuff that company produced actually worked right out of the box.... I can remember one friend that worked for UA and had installed a bunch of the center/surround units in a complex and only two out of 8 worked.

Mark

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to seeing what this set-up will do. If it dies, well, look what I have invested in it.

The home theatre sound system basically sucks at this point. All consumer stereo equipment. Has never sounded very good, and really sounds bad when projecting stereo prints. Has a very hollow sound. I'm slowly aquiring sound loops. I got a 6K loop the other day. I also have a new 'slit' lens. New one has a very fine slit compared to the old original.

EDIT: Mark, you replied while I was writing. Reminds me of old early solid state TV's. Our repair shop went thru a spell of new TV's dead out of the box.

If nothing else, I can troubleshoot the KinTeks... if a manual pops up for it...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a manual in one of the Cineplex booths in the Boise/Nampa area a number of years back. Perhaps Monte could nose around and see if its still there....

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 02:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I think that I know were these manuals are since our storerooms are loaded with these Kintek monsters that were taken out when we converted all of the mono houses to stereo. I'll let you know when I get there Friday and pass the note down the pipe.

thx-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: