Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 Analog sound problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP65 Analog sound problem
Magnus Blomberg
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Magnus Blomberg   Email Magnus Blomberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CP65 where the DTS sound is very low but come from all channels with a slight distorsion. The bypass work prefectly ok. When switching to optical sound, or Mono, there is no sopund at all. I am a little stunned with this and dont know where to start to find the problem. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech!

Is your Cat. 240A optical pre-amp card functioning? Do you have a spare?

That might be the first port of call. Also check your Cat. 242 B-chain card, as that may be at fault as well.

Check also your power supply indicators are all OK.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First did it ever work right or did this just happen if so did anything change
Try switching to bypass is there sound
My bet is the output card or the bypass relays if it is a new problem

Magnus Blomberg
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 04:09 AM      Profile for Magnus Blomberg   Email Magnus Blomberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Yes, I beleive the 240A is working. I have tried with a spare 240A and there is no change. Dolby A still not working. The signals to ByPass come from 240A and ByPass is working. When I turn to Dolby A, there is no sound.

I am working on the 242 B-chain. Will let you know.
The power indicators are ok.

Gordon

Yes, it has been working ok. The problem just happen.
Nothing was changed, it just happen.
ByPass work ok.
Which is the output card ? Cat 242 B-chain ?

What do you think about the Cat. 222 or the two Cat. 350/300 ?
Since the signal come from the output of Cat. 240A to those cards, and Dolby A dont work, but ByPass does, can it be something wrong in eiter 222 or the 350/300 or the Cat 150 ?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-18-2005 07:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you play the Dolby tone loop, you can see the voltage and follow it on the backplane to trace where it is going between cards and where it is lost, and you can also check the voltage at the inputs to the B chain card, and at the main outputs. If you have spare cards to swap, it is easier to do that, of course, but it sounds like you don't. There are signal indicator lights on the preamp, then the level indicators on the NR card(s), and on the matrix card (Cat.No.150) which are explained on the inside of the door and in the manual. It should be fairly easy to see where the signal breaks off. If you have signal at all these points, it is possible, but extremely unlimely that the EQ modules are bad, but it really is extremely unlikely that they all go at the same time. Also, problems like these have been known to get cured by taking all cards out, inspecting and cleaning the connectors, and reseating them firmly. That includes the power supply. I have had CP65s which had bad pins in the connector to the backplane. You can usually see the bad pins and brownish discoloration of the molex connector.

Magnus Blomberg
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 08:02 AM      Profile for Magnus Blomberg   Email Magnus Blomberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, thanks. Ok, I will do some tests and get back here tomorrow with some results.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most complicated and failure prone board in that unit is the 150 card. Both L/R and all 4 channels are on that board. It is unlikely that both channels of the NR cards would both fail. If you can swap the 150, do this first. Otherwise, if you have access to a pink noise generator, replace with that in the 150 slot, which will either condemn or else eliminate the entire B chain.

Best to get the CP-65 working first, then look to see what is not right with the DTS interface. Louis

Phil Fortier
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Phil Fortier   Email Phil Fortier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thing pull cat150 and clean contacts

Magnus Blomberg
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 06:14 AM      Profile for Magnus Blomberg   Email Magnus Blomberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, seems that the cleaning of the contacts should be the first thing to do so I will start with that.

Magnus Blomberg
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2005 03:37 AM      Profile for Magnus Blomberg   Email Magnus Blomberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have done everything I can to solve the problem. Cleaning the connectors did not help to solve the problem. And the measurements I did indicate that there are something in the Cat. 150. that make trouble. I have now called for a serviceengineer because it goes beoynd my knowledge. But I will be there when he comes, you can be sure about that. Thanks to all of you that tried to help me.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-22-2005 09:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to not worry about the NR card the preamp or the 150 since they are optical only portion of the processor
I would tend to lean towards the output section or powersupply since DTS is also affected

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
If you play the Dolby tone loop, you can see the voltage and follow it on the backplane to trace where it is going between cards and where it is lost, and you can also check the voltage at the inputs to the B chain card, and at the main outputs.
Sounds like an awesome troubleshooting step. Could you post a list of points to test on the back plane?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-27-2007 05:44 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 548 days since the last post.

Jon Paul Johns
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 05:44 AM      Profile for Jon Paul Johns   Email Jon Paul Johns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem has this been solved if so, pleas fill me in and what the problem was and how to fix it.

Thanks, Jon

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2007 06:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the problem for you is both analog AND digital (via the digital input)...your problem is either the Cat 242, Cat 249A (power regulator). The is also the unlikely possibilit of the Cat 250A (power transformer) or bypass relays on the back plane.

I would start with the Cat 249A. When one gets a problem with missing/distorted audio that isn't optical, that is a good place to start. Verify that all three power rails are working properly (don't just use the three red LEDs to verify it...meaure it...however if one or more is out...you need look no further).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: