Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire, DTS t/c in R4

Author Topic: Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire, DTS t/c in R4
Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any other FT'ers noticed, in particular but not limited to
UK FT'ers, if your print of Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
has corrupt DTS t/c on R4?

While R4 plays, the DTS t/c reader's LED flashes randomly on
and off, while the XD10's subtitle and narr. LEDs also blink
randomly. The narration audio is garbled, as it is little
chunks of mixed-up audio.

I think the XD10 is doing exactly what it is being told to do.
I swapped the t/c reader with another (we only have two), and
there was the same problem. I've also swapped print, as we
have two of those, and we get the same problem in R4.

Both t/c readers are the same age (~9 months), and I think it
unlikely that they will give the same fault, at the same time
during 2 different prints of the same film.

Naturally, we've ordered a replacement R4, but I have this idea
that the replacement reel may have the same problem, if it has
been made from the same master copy. Does that sound plausible?

I'm open to suggestions if there's anything else I might do, to
make the DTS work properly during R4. We only use DTS for
accessibility requirements, that's why we've not noticed this
problem before now.

Alex.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-28-2005 12:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems here.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-28-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, we had problems in some locations too during the second half of the movie, could be reel 4. I checked readers and readjusted the LED level and the problem went away. The reason that it was only during certain reels is probably that the reader LEDs were a little low, but not dramatically so, so with good timecode there was no problem. Apparently the TC was printed less than good on some reels, and then several small problems add up...

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex, this is apparently a widespread problem with the Harry Potter prints. I believe our technical manager is discussing it with Warner and today requested that everyone with problems let him know, so I assume it's quite widespread.

5.1/Audio Description/Subtitling drops out completely for the second half of R4 on all four of my prints, and is garbled and disjointed during the first half. So I'm playing in SRD.

Typically next week one print drops to a DTS/SR only screen!

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print wouldn´t play SDDS. Tried SRD and it played everything
except reel 7. On 6 or 7 places it had 6 inches long blue lines right in the middle of the SRD track, parrallel with a 2 inches long series of small blue squares in the middle of the analog track. I have never seen anything like this before.

Plays perfect in DTS.

Thomas

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 6 for us, DTS timecode was dropping in and out. Replacement reel from Warners is ok.

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All 3 of my prints play fine in D.T.S. and S.R.D.
No timecode blinking at all and error rates of 1-3 in S.R.D.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2005 04:19 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, two DTS prints, no issues

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-29-2005 05:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My one print had dropouts in the SR-D in reels 4 and 5. We have no DTS in this one house.

It let me know that I needed to "change the oil" in my CP-500 (give it a CAT-69 dolby tone tuneup...lol) when the dropout occured.

-Monte

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had about 4-5 dropouts near the middle of the film. Tracks at 3-4 most of the movie and the reversions are not long enough for SR to kick in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: