Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Could Digital Projectors help the deaf???

Author Topic: Could Digital Projectors help the deaf???
Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could digital projectors be helpful to the deaf? I'm currently studying American Sign Language at the University of Colorado and I was required to watch a subtitled movie for my class. I was trying to figure out how much it would cost to make a film with subtitles for the deaf. Not English subtitles but English deaf subtitles (i.e. [woman singing], [man yelling]).

It would make sense to have digital projectors available to turn on subtitles at a click of a button.

I'm looking for some opinions on this matter, pro or con, both would be very helpful for my paper I'm writing. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew

Subtitles are handled at the source. DVD player,ect. Closed caption is another form of displayed text for the hearing impaired but that is something built into and requires a tuner. Plasmas, LCD panels, Direct view TV and RP TVs all have built in tuners and offer CC. Years ago front projectors had built in tuners but this practice was done away with many years ago with the cross over to digital TV. At this time none of the FP manufactures offer built in tuners.

What you are asking for most likely would only be available as a stand alone box.

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I want to know is, would the cost of printing up a film for the deaf less than adding closed caption subtitles to a digital format for a movie theater?

Why is everyone so afraid of digital projectors?

Why are movie studios so hell bent of being in control of digital projectors?

Would the mainstream audience be upset with closed caption going on while Brad Pitt trys to have sex with some actress from Iowa who just turned 18 two weeks ago?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-30-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's already being done (with film). The DTS "rear window" system provides captions on an LED sign in the rear of the theatre. Deaf customers use little reflectors that clip onto the seats in order to read the captions. The system works well (and has the advantage that deaf customers can attend any screening and that hearing customers don't have to put up with subtitles). Relatively few films are available with disks, presumably because of the cost of creating the titles and the (perceived?) low interest among theatre owners.

There are also "open caption" prints available of some films. These are normal English-language prints with laser-burned English subtitles for the deaf. These can (obviously) be shown in any theatre without special equipment, but require special screenings (since non-deaf customers won't want to watch a film with English subtitles).

I'm not sure how DLP would improve on the DTS system (which seems pretty much ideal, except perhaps for the cost).

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 06:17 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Stevens
Would the mainstream audience be upset with closed caption going on
Yes, they would be pissed. I would be too. The only thing that an audience wants subtitles on are foreign language "art films".

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott

I was talking with technicolor, they told me "open caption" print cost about $1,500 - $3,000 to print, that is if the studio pays $2,500 for the caption overlay so technicolor can develop this open caption. They seems fucking stupid to pay additional $1,500 to add captions to the piece of plastic film. Then they have to add the "special" screening for the deaf.

They system is fucked up!!!

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew here is a website that many small and large chains including the one I am with participate in open captions films

Insight cimenas

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 08:16 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Digital projectors can be used to do subtitles. They just need a file with the appropriate timing. This way they can do just about any language provided you have the font. It doesn't involve a different image file as the projector takes care of providing the subtitle over the image instead of it being part of the image.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 08:17 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think with digital projection, it SHOULD be easy enough to encode subtitles (like on DVD's) into the movie content. Perhaps have an external decoder box that could be turned on and off at will. that way, if a special screening for the deaf were to happen, it would be easy as cake to turn the subtitle box on, then shut it off for the next regular showing. You can't tell me that it would be costly to add subtites into motion picture content since its done for DVDs in how many different languages??

quote: Matthew Stevens
Why is everyone so afraid of digital projectors?
Easy...it would take the profession projectionist (tech) out of the booth. Projector repairs, watching for wraps, oiling, greasing etc would be a thing of the past. The only people "afraid" of digital projection would be projectionists. I, for one, am not afraid. I encourage it. I hope it comes soon and flurishes. Theater owners are afraid of the costs, not the technology, so studios or other entities are stepping in to help with costs...I don't think their looking to take control of anything. They are being cautious, testing the waters, to make sure that transmitted movies cant, or wont, be interecepted by hackers. So, the slow start to digital projection is warranted...and a good thing. In time, it will be here and film will be phased out...just like B&W TV without a remote. [beer]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 08:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
They are being cautious, testing the waters, to make sure that transmitted movies cant, or wont, be interecepted by hackers.
Yeah, because everyone knows that digital movies are flying through the air just like a TV signal or through the wires like cable TV. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 10 years ago, we had a woman who called and was asking about movies for deaf people. She wanted to bring a deaf friend and stand in front of her and sign during the movie. The immediate response was o.k., but if you disturb any other paying customers, you will be asked to leave. So then she got upset and wanted a private showing so her deaf friend could watch the movie. We told her, fine, but she would have to pay all of the extra expenses involved. Not sure of the final outcome, I don't think they ever saw the movie.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 12:20 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
Yeah, because everyone knows that digital movies are flying through the air just like a TV signal or through the wires like cable TV.
They are. Some have been transmitted via satellite. If its in the air waves, it can, and IS most likely trying to be picked off by some unscroupulous person. Imagine what pristine digital copy of a new movie would go for? Granted, I don't know what kind of format the movie is in, but rest assured, it can be cracked and viewed....unfortunately.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 03:49 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many sites across the UK ,ours included,show subtitles via DTS or Dolby Screentalk. This site http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ gives you a lot of info

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: