Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ISCO Blue Star adapter ring threads different?

Author Topic: ISCO Blue Star adapter ring threads different?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-01-2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someplace in the back of my mind, I seem to remember that the German lenses have different threads on them to accept extension cylinders than do the American lenses. I just got a batch of my Ultra Star MCs and before I run up to the booth trying to force the cylinder extensions that I've got into them (and I know I will need extensions), I just want to know if I will have to order special Isco threaded extensions?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Roehr
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Alan Roehr   Email Alan Roehr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We replaced our old Snaplite lens with an Isco and the extension tubes from the Snaplite would not fit on the Isco. I don't have any experience beyond that, but I think there is a good chance you will need some different extension tubes with the right threads.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-02-2005 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two thread styles...one si 32TPI (turns per inch) and the other is 36TPI....

It was really Kollmorgen that had the odd threads at 32TPI...B&L, ISCO and Schneider are all 36TPI.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard SMPTE 243M specifies "35- and 70-mm Projection Lenses and Mounts". Table 2 lists the threads as 36tpi (0.706 mm pitch).

All MODERN lenses should be made to this standard. If you are using a ancient lens with a different thread (e.g., the Snaplites), it is likely unworthy of use in a modern theatre. [thumbsdown]

Old lens designs are significant "contrast killers", not to mention usually having poor sharpness and focus uniformity:

Kodak "Contrast Killer" Article

quote:
Contrast Killer 3: Lens Flare
The projector lens itself can be a significant contrast killer. Modern projection
lenses feature efficient multi-layer anti-reflection coatings on each glass
element, and careful design to absorb internal reflections. They also eliminate
old-fashioned cemented elements that separated, crazed or yellowed with age
and the intense heat of the projector's light. "Hand-me-down" used lenses are
false economy, as they severely compromise the quality of the projected
image. Lenses over 15 years old are better used as paperweights or museum
pieces, as they rarely match the resolution, field flatness, and contrast of
modern lenses.
Even modern lenses can be contrast killers. Improper cleaning can scratch or
damage the surfaces of the glass, or introduce moisture into the lens. Loose
dust should be carefully brushed away with a soft camels-hair lens brush.
Cleaning should never be done with a dry cloth or tissue that can scratch the
lens surface. Liquid lens cleaner should be used with great care not to get
moisture into the lens. Look down the barrel of the lens as it is projecting an
image — it should be scratch-free, without any significant haze. The lens
should be sent for cleaning and evaluation if there is significant internal haze,
scratched elements, loose elements, or any other defect.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: