Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Narnia" is a 9-reel print (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Narnia" is a 9-reel print
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2005 09:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a call from Technicolor tonight saying that "Narnia" is going to ship on 9 reels in 3 cans.

Also said they are going to deliver on Wed. [thumbsup]

Why in the world is it NINE reels? If it's 140 minutes, I'd think 7 would be plenty.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-05-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess they've decided to not load the reels all the way up to 2k each. Japan's Studio Ghibli does that, usually loading up to only about 1.5k on each reel.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-05-2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the editor is from the old school where they didn't want to break reels at place with music. With some title this can mean really oddly loaded reels, but many a change-over projectionist was happy for that system. This was very prevelent with musicals where change-over were rarely in the middle of the songs.

Hey, don't complain about 9 reels? Try MY FAIR LADY topping out at 14!! It could have easily been put on 9, but then there would the danger of hearing: "I'm gettin married in the mor....BLUP....els are gonna shine...."

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From memory Moulin Rouge was 128 minutes on 9 reels and most of those were small, which I thought at the time was curious.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 11:41 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played Hamlet in 70mm a few years ago and it seemed like it was 20 reels or there about. A couple seemed to be much less than 10min. each.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, "Nine Lives" shipped on nine reels (one life per reel). Would've fit on six. No excuses of the sort Frank mentioned.

No one cares about us booth rats.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-05-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember with the 35mm release of "Ben-Hur"-the full length version - was sent out on 16 reels, but on an average of 9 to 12 minutes each.

Then Paramount sent "10 Commandments" on 12 full reels...

...go figure. Maybe the labs love to play games..

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 12:15 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can live with 9 reels.
It was those 13 of Gods & Generals that I couldn't stand.
At 4 hours it was a monster.

EDIT: I agree with Monte. The labs are evil.
Wasn't the last from on both leaders for each reel of feardotcom different than the frame preceeding it?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 06:23 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont blame the lab. Its the editor. Id take full reels anyday over little short ones.

I'm getting 3 prints of Narnia on Wednesday.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 07:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Reel length is an editorial decision, not normally a lab decision. I would much rather see short reels with reel changes having a minimal impact on continuity than trying to fill every reel with changes in the middle of important dialog or action.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
too bad the same doesn't apply to DVD layer switches.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would much rather see short reels with reel changes having a minimal impact on continuity than trying to fill every reel with changes in the middle of important dialog or action.[QUOTE]

That's a great pipe dream, John. Unfortunately some features are still really slopilly edited so as to have the changeovers in the middle of a scene. I recall Star Trek: Nemisis had at least one cut like that.

One of the things I liked about Kill Bill Vol. 2 was that some of the changeovers took place over black film therfor making the changeover completely seemless unless one was looking for the cue marks.
I wonder how many non-film-teching theaters just lobbed it off after at some random location though...

[QUOTE=Adam Wilbert]too bad the same doesn't apply to DVD layer switches.

Agreed.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this have come from removal/alteration of certain scenes?

It was snowy & slow today, so I typed up this blurb/pseudo-monty python addition to TES' fax & copied the whole thing...

Three is the number of cans that shall be delivered. Not four or five, but three exactly. Two shall not be the number of cans received, unless directly proceeded by three.

May your cinema reap the harvest of lambs and chickens and widebeasts and sloths...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 09:39 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with JP. I recently saw an old title that had 7 full reels, and one of them has a dance number that continues thru a changeover. Its pretty jarring.

R2 of Narnia starts with a shot that made me look twice to be sure I had the frame cut right. Anybody else notice that one?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Then Paramount sent "10 Commandments" on 12 full reels...

The original preview for that film was just about one full reel..... Ole C.B was quite a long winded guy!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: