Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is an "Answer Print"

Author Topic: What is an "Answer Print"
Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably one for John P or maybe Domonic Case from Atlab.
I came across a very curious label on a film box that was titled Answer Print Off Dupe.

Anyone know what that is??? It was printed in Australia by Atlab so just might be a down under term but have never seen that one before.

Weather lousy here in WA at the moment for outdoor cinemas but weekend looks promising at last... had at least one wet night every week since we started screening again.
But at least all the gear fired up nicely after the long winter hibernation and the little Lumex still almost burns a hole in the 10m screen... picture is brilliant.
Lindsay

|  IP: Logged

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 05:53 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I know it's the first print that's made after the completion of the colour grading or timing which may have been done through DI or photo chemically. I guess the print would also include the finished titles, SFX (optical, CGI) and the final sound mix for evaluation. If everything is approved by the DP and Director, then release printing can commence. Might be more to it then that. Not sure if answer prints are made from the interpos-interneg process.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, it is a print struck by a lab to check their color timing, contrast, etc. The results may be perfect, or they may have issues that require them to make adjustments and try again. When the director/producer sign off that it looks correct, then they can make release prints using the settings from the final answer print.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Answer prints can be with or without a soundtrack depending on at what stage of post-production it's in too.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 10:23 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also sound only answer prints to assess cross mods, etc,.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 10:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Glossary

quote:
ANSWER PRINT. The first print combining picture and sound submitted by the laboratory for the customers' approval.

ACVL Glossary

quote:
First Trial Composite Print

This is the first print made with picture and sound track, fades, dissolves, and other effects incorporated. It also represents the first effort at scene to scene color and/or density balance. The first trial print allows the producer to evaluate the work before authorizing multiple release prints or the making of an intermediate.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all,

Obviously they must have got things correct as this label was from a box that had done the cinema screen rounds here and then been junked after it had finished its run.
I had grabbed a bundle of boxes about to be tipped to be reused elsewhere and these labels were on various boxes.
Only being at the exhibition end of the chain I don't often see things like that so I wondered and all was explained via FT as per normal.
Lindsay

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's an answer print off dupe then it was probably to check the grading/timing of the dupe neg made from the f/g which in turn will be used to strike the main run of release prints. Presumably the answer print was judged to be OK, and so was put into circulation.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-16-2005 09:49 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe an print made for client approval off a duplicate negative is called a "check print", not an "answer print". If various laboratory sites are involved, they sometimes exchange "guide prints" to facilitate matching of density and color.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-17-2005 01:56 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Answer prints are excuses labs come up with to charge you $2/ft. for at least one print. [Razz]

Although, and as John noted, when we (Screen Attractions) did a big print run with Technicolor recently (using IP/DN) they made an "answer print" off the camera negative, and a "check print" off the DN. Maybe it's different in Australia...

FWIW, I noticed at least one other lab seemed to use the terms check print and answer print interchangeably, when referring to the first composite print made off the original neg.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 06:55 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a "Check print" was the first print the was struck in the production line of making the release prints. If it's all good then they continue the release printing.
When they had problems here with the "Gone With The Wind" re-release a 'check print' was rushed over which still had issues but was better then the other print they were sent first. It's was printed on 2393 stock.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Answer prints are excuses labs come up with to charge you $2/ft. for at least one print.
OK - I saw the smiley emoticon . . .

But I thought I'd mention that the higher price for an answer print does include all the colour grading - in video houses or even in film DI suites, the colour grading is charged at $$$ per hour - inthe conventional film process it's just bundled in with the cost of the print.

quote: Bill Gabel
Answer prints can be with or without a soundtrack depending on at what stage of post-production it's in too.
No, as shown in the definitions that John provided, an answer print invariably includes image and sound. You'll find a similar definition on the Atlab website as well.

Atlab glossary A-B

Strictly, the answer print IS off original neg, and we use the term check print for the first print off a dupe neg. Sometimes if the producer has to approve the dupe, then the check pritn will be called "answer print off dupe" - and sometimes, a technician will just be a little liberal with terminology. Send me the box and we'll do some forensic work and find out who it was and "counsel" them - rest assured they won't work again. [Smile]

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 04:21 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic,

Sorry mate that label has gone into the WPB once I got the good guts from these guys here... so your forensic stuff will have to wait another day.
It did indeed say Answer Print Off Dupe and was from an Atlab print of Deep Blue and like I said had never ever seen that before and my curiousity got the better of me.
Normally all us exhibitors ever see is print such and such, no such and such and reels etc plus Hi Mag etc for the sound.
Lindsay

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 04:40 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It <snip> was from an Atlab print of Deep Blue <snip>, no such and such and reels etc plus Hi Mag etc for the sound.

AS it happens, I recall "Deep Blue" was one of the first titles we printed with High magenta soundtrack - so that was a few years ago.

The title caused a bit of confusion in the lab when we were explaining the High magenta to the print checkers. As in " normally the analogue soundtrack should be a deep blue colour, but Deep Blue is different . . . "

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: