Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pro-35 Picture Shaking Even After Part Exchange

Author Topic: Pro-35 Picture Shaking Even After Part Exchange
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Pro-35 has had a shaky picture for about 6 months now and I finally got the owner to notice how bad it was. He agreed to get a new framing coupler for it. We recieved the part, had the tech put it in the damn thing still shakes (not as bad, but it still does). What else could be causing this? I'm really starting to get frustrated.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-16-2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..what kind of picture shake - vertical or horizontal?

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 03:49 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, it is a vertical rythmic shaking.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the outboard bearing also replaced? Remember: don't overtighten it!

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, the outboard bearing was not replaced, just the coupler. Do I need to call and get a new outboard bearing as well? Is this something that can easily be changed?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-16-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always replace both together... they seem to have a very similar life span. The bearing is a Barden and might be available from a local bearing supplier if you check around... I don't remember the number off the top of my head though.
Also its not uncommon to find the starwheel with a bent radius, its not a hardened star and if you have even a small pileup or wrap the radius will generally bend. I see several of these a year.....

Mark

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ABEC 7 Barden.
The bearing costs less than $10 if you shop around; if you buy from Strong, they'll sell you the same thing for about $80!

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this on a machine I was working on. Turned out to be the movement. Just what Mark said, bent ramp on the star wheel.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is most likely right, bad intermittent. If you want a replacement outboard bearing and you can't find the Barden...the bearing number is an R4 A

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: