Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why does the CP650 warble at all?

Author Topic: Why does the CP650 warble at all?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to be a real design flaw in my opinion, but I wanted to see what others thought. I really can't think of any application where allowing the CP650 to vary the PITCH based on how fast the data is coming in would make sense, but maybe I'm missing something. This should at least be something that could be turned OFF in the software (maybe it is, but I don't see it).

In this thread, I'm not really interested in how to mechanically fix the warbling, I'm looking for people's opinions on why the software was designed that way to begin with, and if you think it's a good idea or not.

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never worked with a cp650, but i'll speculate.

could it be so that it will match the pitch of the analog track in case of a dropout?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may actually have the unit toggling at a high rate back and forth between analogue and digital that did happen with the odd DA20

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Gordon. To test this theory, either turn off the analog light source or temporarily block the analog LED.

Reversions to analog will then show up as missing audio.

You will then know if a well qualified Dolby tech should be called to repair the Digital. Louis

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 10:16 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens on the DTS too. I remember when we installed some units we checked the film path while the film was running and we were "forcing" the film to go faster than it should. It was speeding up the pitch on the DTS discs. But a properly alinged soundhead and a proper projector should not do such warbling. Maybe you should check your film path if you have a problem like this.
D

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2005 10:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen projectors not running exactly at 24FPS exhibit the complaint he has. I've also seen this from platters with a bouncy payout, particularly with dts.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-18-2005 08:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I've seen projectors not running exactly at 24FPS exhibit the complaint he has.
I've seen this happen with Sony's but not with Dolbys. Dolby has a pretty wide tolerance for speed as does DTS.... something like +/- 5% or thereabouts. The Sony 2000's seem a but more touchy as regards speed accuracy.

Mark

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 08:40 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650 (and DA20 and CP500D) has a Dolby Digital decoder speed tolerance of +7% to -11%. This is a wide latitude. This allows for variances in AC voltage, projector / motor gearing, and it's simply good practice. If you are actually hearing warbling on a regular basis, then there is probably something wrong... check to see if you hear it in analog playback (Dolby SR... Format 05). If you do, then something is wrong with your projector drive train. If it's okay in SR, then you may have a problem with your Cat. No. 773 (Dolby Digital film decoder) card.

-ken

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-18-2005 09:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
+7% to -11%
Ken,
I knew it had wide speed lattitude but thats practically good enough to be able to hand crank in an emergency and still maintain SRD playback!

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 10:10 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am confused by the focus of recent responses. Why does the digital decoder's speed tolerance have anything to do with warble? Of course digital needs to track speed changes in the film, otherwise the sound would be out of sync.

And if the speed of the film rapidly changes, producing a warble in analog, you'd see the same warble in digital. But it wouldn't be digital's fault.

If you exceeded the decoder's speed tolerance, then presumably you'd have dropouts, which are completly unrelated.

--jhawk

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

There were some "early" Cat. No. 773 cards (Dolby Digital film decoder) in CP650s that exhibited undue pitch changes because of some capacitor problems. If someone were to experience a described "warble", the first thing I ask them to do is switch to SR and see if it's still there. If it is not, then yes, it could be "digital's" fault (at least in this case).

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 11:29 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are the tension arms bouncing? if so, you might find that the airpot is busted in the reader

Perhps the bounce is enough of a spee dup/slow down over and over again to cause it to cut in and out.

If that is the case call Dave H. for replacement

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: