Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Potts Platter (W/Microswitch) Problem With Thrown Print (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Potts Platter (W/Microswitch) Problem With Thrown Print
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running the Potts Platter with the microswitch model brain and a Pro-35 Projector. Today I noticed that the payout from the brain was lagging a bit. The brain was letting the film wrap about halfway around and then it would catch up. While I know this wasn't right it wasn't huring anything at the moment. I then ran a show from my bottom platter deck with the same brain, same problems. This time however when it got about 3 minutes from the end of the print the platter was going so fast it through the remaining part of the print off the platter. Is there an adjustment I need to make on the brain/microswitch or is the thing going bad? BTW, it was working fine yesterday.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-17-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you have the older micro switches. If it takes a half a turn or more of film wrap to get the switch to click on that itself is the clue. You need to get three new micros that have .5 oz bat tennsion on them. These .5 oz micros will make the Potts, or Strong platters run incredibly smooth. Be sure to get them from a dealer that KNOWS about these switches, or order new ones from Potts, but they are generally less expensive from a dealer. We buy them in bulk at least 100 at a time.....

ACHTUNG!... IMPORTANT!!! Replace them every two years no matter what for trouble free operation. Be sure the switch clicks in the middle of its travel annd.....they have also been known to stick in the on position. Sometimes the contacts will weld themselves together..... [Eek!]

Mark

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By older microswitch do you mean the kind with the little wheel on the end of them? Few years ago I was told they don't even make those anymore.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 12:08 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if that is what an "old" microswitch is then I don't have one (unless you are talking about a wheel that isn't obvious)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 02:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..check your motor brushes while you're at it. Tired brushes could cause platter rotation to lag and eventually stop.

I thought it was my switches (on a Balco platter, which is like the Potts..and which I converted the brain to the newer blade type as what the newer STRONG brains uses..with a bit of modification and this conversion that I did makes the brain run TONS better than those roller type switches), and found out that one of the motor brushes have seen better days. Sudden changeout of brushes got this deck up to normal operation (in as well as the switch conversion..)

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check and see what the microswitch is and get the next one down.
I.e. one that needs less force to opperate the deck. I think I saw something about that on here a while back.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 01:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Few years ago I was told they don't even make those anymore.

Oh, no. They are still being made from numerous manufacturers that would charge less than STRONG.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these microswitches hard to change out? I am fairly new to projection and was kind of forced in without much training (I run a single screen so I have little help around).

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No not hard at all. Two wires, and two nuts. After you install the new one, adjust the micro switch so you hear it click at mid travel of the arm. Then tighten the hardware down.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might have to check this a few times before tightening down the hardware for the proper travel.

[ 12-19-2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 03:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tension is pretty tricky. I use gravity to find the exact place where the least tension is found then lock down the hardware. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2005 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Oh, no. They are still being made from numerous manufacturers that would charge less than STRONG.
Monte,

There is really only one manufacturer of this switch I have found over the years that actually works reliably over a several year span and thats the one made by Microswitch. I like the old saying....There may be others that fit but there is only one that really works [thumbsup] .

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2005 01:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, Is Microswitch the one that you stock there at Claco?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-20-2005 08:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the equivelent from Omron for years and it has proven stable and reliable

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is what I use now are the Omron switches is pleased with them. I've heard that Honeywell switches are good as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: