Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Certification

Author Topic: Certification
Zachary C Washburn
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 10:46 AM      Profile for Zachary C Washburn   Email Zachary C Washburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wandering if anyone could tell if there is a way to receive a certification in booth operations. Everything from film handling to projector maintenance and repair. Or is it simply that experience is our only reward?

|  IP: Logged

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most certifications are chain-specific. Like you may be a level 4 with Regal, but that may mean nothing to Cinemark/etc.

I'm still waiting on enrollment in the Brad Miller School of Projection!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 12:35 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zachary,
I'm assuming you work for Kerasotes?

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-19-2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the Brad Miller School method be more of a crash-course, a workshop or seminar, or like locking someone in a booth without food or water for four years until one day they emerge, enlightened and indestructible? [Wink]

Technically, I don't think a REG Certification Level 4 (which I am, by the way) doesn't count for crap on paper, not to other chains. But the principles, hands-on training, and experience necessary to get to that level should make it fairly easy to pass alternate chain courses with minimal extra effort.

Although, generally, "certification" requirements for every booth, with different equipment, procedures, quirks, and management/projection teams behind them, will undoubtedly be different.

As for film handling ... take a good month and devote yourself to studying the scriptures contained herein on the forum. There is much to find!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-20-2005 12:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
Would the Brad Miller School method be more of a crash-course, a workshop or seminar, or like locking someone in a booth without food or water for four years until one day they emerge, enlightened and indestructible?
It's 5 years. [Big Grin]

Actually the way I would handle it would be a one on one training seminar which would probably take several days if it was to be done crash course style. The only problem with doing it that way is that whenever someone is going to be that rushed to learn a tremendous amount of info in such a short time, the trainee had better understand they will become flustered at first.

I have done multiple party training, and although it worked fine, it did take about twice as long as one on one training. This is about the only way to accomplish training several people right before a new theater opening though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2005 01:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...then when the trainer leaves, the party begins again.. [Smile] ..and all is forgotten what was taught. With only the chosen few that would still remember.

Were I work at, I have training seminars as well with levels of certification that one MUST remember (shoot, I've made a few of them bawl and run to the manager on how mean I am with my certfication procedures .. lol).

-monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-20-2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...then magically out of the clear blue without the slightest hint of warning, I re-enter the booth a few weeks down the road and fire whoever is working that has altered the training on the spot. Forget to reset that film cleaner for this screen? Loop a little too big on this projector? Poor quality splice found? Too bad, you're fired. Bye and get out, you fail.

This is why it's important to hire people at a resonable wage with a 90 day inspection of their skills. At 90 days if they are performing completely up to par, their wage is noticeably increased. If at 90 days they still have issues, so long, bye bye.

(I can generally tell within 3 training shifts if someone will last the test of time though.)

Now don't get me wrong. If someone has an idea of a potentially better way to do something, I will fully entertain the idea, commonly with implementing that theory in the booth for X number of weeks to evaluate it's potential. However changes that are just done without prior inquiring = termination, because usually it's a film done wrong solution from a lazy ass projectionist.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2005 03:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..course with me, I have to "certify" floor staff employees who were hired by the manager and the manager trains them and I just check them out (and still get nasty with them since I "certified" the manager on procedures), then if they don't pass my requirements, I tell the manager to work on them more until they meet my critera.

...This turns into a whirlwind of an operation for me at times..

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2005 06:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still waiting on enrollment in the Brad Miller School of Projection!

You're already at the Brad Miller School Of Projection... Just read every post on this site... that'll take you at least 5 years.

Mark

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark- before I start that, I would have to filter out every post containing the words "Andy" and "Summers"... that should shave at least 6 months off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: