Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Adding trailers to platter (photo) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Adding trailers to platter (photo)
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 02:20 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think of adding trailers as shown in this picture:

-

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Creative" idea. Really. Never thought of that. Does that really work? [Confused]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John--

Twenty-five years ago I did the same thing where the trailer pack was a little too big for a "drop-in". Instead just "drop-
on" and let 'er rip. If it can be thought of, it can be done.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course if you know in advance you need them, you can get a 19-inch center ring and already have plenty of room to drop trailers in. I know strong sells them at least.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 03:33 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do that all the time, but that loop in the back there doesn't look good.
I would try to keep that wound up against the rest of the roll.
It looks like it may be getting creased on the right there.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know the obvious risks. If you can do it without damaging film or having the film jam or fly, it has been done. [Roll Eyes] But I agree the better and preferred way would be to wind the film on a larger hub on the previous show, so you have room to insert a smaller diameter "trailer pack" inside. [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the loop unthreads from between the feed out fingers. You will find a soda straw from McDonalds can be inverted and forced over the fingers to "capture" the film; at least until the top layer is gone. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Cheech & Chong would say, "I've done that, man."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd at least lay one end of that "trailer pak" into the filmroll so the loop of "trailer pak" doesn't want to slip out since the platter rotation doesn't want to fling that loop off the rest of the filmroll.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-19-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That method works fine on Christie platters and I do it regularly. It gets really fun when there are 3-4 "layers" of film on each of six screens. [thumbsup] If done carefully, it's easy and there's no risk of film damage.

Supposedly Christie makes a larger center ring, but I've never seen one, and most theatre owners would be too cheap to buy it, anyway.

I wouldn't want to try this on a Speco or Super Platter, however.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Fully agreed with Monte. So long as you do that, such a trailer drop is perfectly fine.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Works well, been doing it for years. I agree with Brad and Monte though.

About the large centre rings, you can make your own cheap enough from wood. At least you can for CFS platters, I'm not too familiar with other platter makes to know if the design would work with the other makes. Originally built as backup platter rings (same diameter) and then built a few larger versions for trailer pack drops. Been using them for about 10 years. We call them 'woodys'

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you do this? Maybe I dont fully understand the operations side. Do you have to suddenly show 3 or 4 trailers before a certain show? or do you make up a print and then decide you must add trailers? The way you show it, looks like more work and possible problems just waiting to happen. Never been there or done that.
Rick

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I wouldn't want to try this on a Speco or Super Platter, however.

I've done this trick with almost all kinds of platters - Specos, CFS "StupidPlatters", STRONG, Christe, ORC's - et.al. with large or small ring openings.

The trick is the laying the trailer pak on one side inside of the filmroll and starting your threading procedures slow instead of being in a hurry and watching all of this pay through the brain since no matter what kind of platter you have, they can be your "best friend", or your "worst enemy" if not treated correctly.

-Monte

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder the same thing as Richard, when does this situation occur.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: