Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film is pulling projector out of frame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film is pulling projector out of frame
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed this starting last week: throughout the course of a film, the framing slowing pulls itself down. It wasn't too bad last week (if the film started with the FRAME letters perfectly horizontal, it would end with a 10 degree CCW rotation). However, during tonight's film, I started with the FRAME nob perfectly horizontal, and when I checked on the film 30 minutes later it was nearly 45 degrees CCW out of frame! I don't know how the audience didn't pick up on that!

I corrected the framing, but as I did I could feel the film trying to pull the framing back down. What gives? Or more importantly, what do I need to tighten to correct this? I'm on a Simplex XL, btw.

|  IP: Logged

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stab in the dark would be something with the intermittent shoe...

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 09:55 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway to test that?

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, I'm not sure... I would see what the tension is like... Do you have any jumping on screen at all? Or is it just a slow shift out of frame??? (I'm no tech, just using my own booth knowledge...)

Oh... I thought of another suggestion: your intermittent may be be loose or almost done??? I'm really not sure about this one exactly...

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 10:17 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No jumping on the screen. From all appearances it's a steady picture... only it's slowly, slowly creeping southward.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very strange... Check editted note on previous post...

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll baby it for the last show and then call my tech tomorrow.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty... [Wink]

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for you help Olivia! [Smile]

ALSO: I don't know if this has any relevancy, but the framing doesn't move when there's not any film running through the projector. When I flip on the manual power, the framing is as steady as a rock.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2005 11:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like gate tension is WAY too tight and pulling the assembly around. What kind of XL do you have -curved gate or straight gate? Newer models have an adjustment allen stop that loves to turn in after so many times the gate closes, thus putting more tension on the film than needed and causes the intermittent assembly to "pull" around due to so much tension and going out of frame. The allen stop screw is inboard below the aperture opening on the trap assembly.

Proper adjustment is when the intermittent shoes on the gate just barely make full contact with the sprocket when gate is closed with film loaded.

If the shoes looks like they want to "crawl" under the sprocket, the gate is closing way too tight.

good luck - Monte

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-21-2005 12:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cause of this is 99% of the time from the little leaf springs that provide tension against the intermittent movement against the framing carriage becoming loose or broken. The framing will slowly just move itself out with time. Replacing the leaf springs cures the problem, I have run across this problem numerous times, this is the cause and fix.

-Aaron

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 01:08 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a common problem on a X-L or Simplex 35 if the intermittent carrage becomes loose. Look in the X-L manual on page 1-22 of the green version. The P-1705 framing cam retainer plates have worn to a point were they need to be adjusted or one of the newer spring steel versions have broken or come loose.

The combination of the retainer plates and the shutter compensator give enough tension to hold the framer in place. Adjusting or replacing the worn parts should correct this. Most people replace the both older plates with the newer spring ones. I sometimes use two on each side for better tension like they do in the 35/70 machine. Proper gate and intermittent shoe tension can also be checked.

The back door needs to be removed and the intermittent removed to do this properly.
Dick

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-21-2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx for the help also on this for usually it was the excessive tightness of the trap and gate assembly that did it for me with my experiences with this.

Need to work on a lot more "XL" machines that have problems...I work on ones that run very well.. lol.

-monte

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 05:03 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron is correct. I have run across this many times on the strong projector. It has always been the spring.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2005 05:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we assume that he has Simplex's but I didn't read that in any of the posts. Framing drift can also happen to Century, Ballantyne, and others...... but we'll assume its Simplex.

When you install the new springs in place of the old style clamp blocks and so you don't have to deal with removing the lower block which is difficult to get at because it is behind the gear sector on the carrige, just install two thicknesses of those springs in place of the upper or easy to get at block. This will effectively give you the correct amount of tension you need and you won't have to remove the carrage stopper screw and rotate the carrage off the intermediate framing gear, nor will U be fishing parts out of the oil sump. Also be ready with the proper size screw driver as the retaining screws can be a pain to crack loose... the screws have special flat heads to clear areas of the framing carrage as it rotates!

quote:
However, during tonight's film, I started with the FRAME nob perfectly horizontal, and when I checked on the film 30 minutes later it was nearly 45 degrees CCW out of frame! I don't know how the audience didn't pick up on that!

Good projectionists don't rely on the audience to pick up on whats going wrong with any given presentation! They check frequently to be sure that nothing does go wrong.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: