Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The "NEW" shipping reel core

Author Topic: The "NEW" shipping reel core
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-22-2005 04:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..from the bowels of ETS and as I was building up "Fun with Dick and Jane", I noticed, on one of the reels, this new-fandangled core.

-

It's about flipping time that someone decided to create a core for all of us MUT users. Tired of getting shipping reels that someone decides to use a two-hole core which makes it difficult to use the dogpin on the MUT.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 05:22 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! A big THANK YOU and WELL DONE to whoever designed this.

It'll make all the difference; I've heard of horror stories where guys have wound prints off reels with screwdrivers because they couldn't fit them onto their MUTs.

Brilliant!

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 05:39 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the most annoying thing is getting those damn two-hole cores. Now lets make every print have those new cores on orange reels. Then we'll be in good shape.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2005 06:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that a few weeks ago. It's a very nice attempt, but (hey core people are you reading???}...there needs to be an outer rim on the inside of each opening just enough to FORCE the depot guys at ETS to assemble the reel correctly. These new cores will take out most of the problems with the reels being assembled incorrectly, but there are still reel designs out there that can be assembled wrong, such that the projectionist has to disassemble the reel and reassemble it properly in order to be able to work with it on some equipment. This of course means the reels will wear out twice as fast, so that's a bad thing.

Still though, at least they are trying to solve the problem. TES solved the problem a long time ago by using those plates with drive pins on them. There are pictures in the warehouse of this.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 07:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I lived the screwdriver winding trick for almost a year. It doesn't come highly recommended... I'm excited to check these cores out in person, hopefully I get one or two today.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On more than one occasion, I have drilled a hole in a core to fit my MUT. Just one though... if one hole wouldn't help, I find another means. I don't want the core to look like swiss cheese!

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I do with two hole coles (Joe R. should ban two hole cores):

With the Strong MUT I will take the reel apart and just use one side with the core sitting top of the one side. This usually frees up a hole for the MUT.

With the Christie MUT I would stick an allen wrench in the middle of the reel to use as a "key" that would catch onto the MUT.

Helmut E. Dorausch
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Helmut E. Dorausch   Author's Homepage   Email Helmut E. Dorausch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Holidays All.
We will continue in our attempts to make improvements based upon user feedback.
Healthy and Happy 2006.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats hardly from the bowels of anyone... more like they hired someone with alot of smarts. Thats an excellent design. The mold(s)for that core must have cost a small fortune! Now many of our customers will get to stop drilling holes through those old ones.

Merry Christmas,
Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently started seeing cores with holes in them, though not as many as that one has, but I've never seen any film plate, or split spool, that needs holes on the core; other than the central one, obviously. What are the other holes for, is this something new?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-23-2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any core will work fine on a split reel. These 4" cores with holes are designed for use with the various styles of "clip together" reels that the US depots are using for new prints. The holes are there to allow the reels to clip together and hold the core in place and also to engage the drive-pin on most platter MUTs.

Some of the clip-together reels require 4-hole cores to be properly assembled, while others will accept 2-hole cores. The problem comes when dim-witted depot people use a 4-hole-type reel with 2-hole-type cores. The reels will physically clip together and will work fine with a standard 5/16" shaft on a rewind bench, but there won't be any place to engage the drive pin, thus making the reels useless on most MUTs for breakdown. I generally keep a stock of 4-hole cores to use for replacing the 2-hole variety when I come across these improperly assembled reels.

In theory, this new core should eliminate the problem of improperly assembled reels. Since (I think) prints are delivered on cores in the UK, it won't matter to you either way (unless you get a US print).

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few cores like that one shown with the holes, but normally I see just the standard cores here in the UK.

You're right though Scott - prints in the UK ship on cores anyway.

Clive

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
the various styles of "clip together" reels that the US depots are using for new prints.
Any chance of some pictures?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine a flange with a hook on one side of the core and a latch on the other side. Now imagine a mirror image for the other flange and you've got a clip-together reel. No need for a photo [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 12:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Wolffe, don't be so difficult. We need to share info to anywone who asks, so I'm gonna chime in with the picture request

-

-

Interesting that the folks "across the pond" gets their prints on cores instead of being mounted on reels.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: